New Frontline

Jonas opened his eyes seeing the white interior of a building. He rose up and looked around, he was laying on top of a white cot with many other beds around him filled with crying and dying soldiers. A pain shot through his stomach as he looked down. The entirety of his lower body was covered in bandages, blood stained the white material. Jonas tried to stand up but his legs collapsed underneath him and fell to the floor with a thud. That caught someone's attention.

"Sergeant Jonas!" called out a feminine voice. Jonas looked up, eyes still blurred, and saw a mop of red hair. Laura. "You're awake!" Laura pulled Jonas to his feet and sat him back on the bed, "you shouldn't be moving so soon sarge." Jonas looked at her quizzically. 'How is she standing?'

"How are you standing up Laura?" Jonas asked

"Huh?"

"I saw you bleeding from a stomach wound from the crash!"

"Ohh that. I was hit during the crash but it hit nothing vital down here," she said pointing at her stomach," you on the other matter took a piece of shrapnel to the stomach and a bullet to the arm. You shouldn't be awake yet!" Jonas tried to stand up again, against Laura's wishes. This time instead of falling he stood straight up as if his injury never happened and flexed his arm. Laura was dumbfounded, "How. How did you..."

Jonas grabbed a shirt from a chair and put it on, "Don't worry about it. I need to be briefed on the situation." Jonas walked out leaving an open-mouthed Laura behind. Breaking out of her trance she ran to catch up to Jonas. Jonas walked up to Major Oliver's office. Knocking on the door he heard a muffled voice call out.

"Come in," Jonas opened the door to see Oliver at his desk shuffling through papers, looking up he notices Jonas. "Jonas, nice to see that your back upstanding," he said as he shook Jonas's hand.

"Umm, Major?" Laura asked

"Yes, Private?" replied Oliver.

"Are you going to question why Jonas is already up?"

"Nope."

"What!"

"Not going to bother. This happened so many times, I don't even care." Laura, about to reply, was stopped by Jonas.

"What's the situation?" said Jonas.

Oliver stood up from his desk, "Glad you asked. Yesterday as you know we were attacked by NPR forces along the frontline. Now they're hammering us down on all fronts. There is only a mile away from this base and we are holding this position by the skin of our teeth. We need everyone on deck, including you Jonas."

"I'm ready, sir." saluted Jonas.

"Good. Your being transferred to Special Operations Squad 1 Jonas and Laura you will be sent to Infantry squad Echo.

"Wait you're splitting us up?" questioned Laura as Jonas remained stoic.

Oliver nodded his head, "A squad of two isn't what we need at this point we just need more bodies to hold the frontlines. I'm sorry but this is how things have to go. 

"It's alright sir," Laura said. Jonas said nothing and walked back to his quarters and Laura went to meet her new squadmates.