Chapter Twelve

Hillary's Pov

Hillary's Pov

I sighed, leaning down to place my head on the table I sat at.

The library was the most quiet place in the school and right now I needed some of that quiet.

Martha's night terrors were becoming another regular occurrence, she hasn't become violet yet but that's not what I was worried about. Both of us haven't had a decent night's sleep for, maybe, a week now and I could feel it.

All she told me was she kept seeing these blood-red eyes staring at her, so close that that was all she saw. She told me of the wolf howls in the distance but she couldn't remember anything else.

Martha was always much better at showing everything was ok than I was. My sister walked around, Angela by her side, with a grin on her face. No ounce of exhaustion in her eyes. While I looked like a walking zombie, which I mostly always did so no one really looked at me differently from what they already did.

Just as I was about to slip into a much-needed nap I heard the chair in front of me scrap against the floor, as it was being pulled back. I growled under my breath to whoever it was, wanting them to go away.

"Are you alright, Hillary?" A sweet voice asked.

I sighed, of course, it was Alice Cullen.

I raise my head to meet her gaze, "Fine." I simply say.

It always seemed like she would pop up out of nowhere now, when I just wanted to be alone. Sometimes it's good to have company but other times I don't want anyone near me.

Alice looked at me with sympathy, "you look exhausted."

I scoffed, "Yeah, well I haven't been sleeping well." I told her truthfully, not caring if she knew.

Leaning my head on my hand, I shut my eyes once again. I imagined myself in bed, without Martha next to me, without the screaming. I had my own room and I was happy, sleeping peacefully. That's all I wanted right now. That's what I needed.

I was hoping to take a nap right here, thinking no one would disturb me, but the Cullens were the only ones who actually try talking to me, other than family. And they really liked to talk, no matter what mood I'm in.

Edward, Jasper and Alice were the only ones I've talked to but that was enough people to make me feel slightly less invisible from the world, which is good and bad.

"What do you want, Alice?" I mumble when she didn't leave, only adding to the, surprisingly, comfortable silence.

"Nothing." She said quietly, turning her eyes down to the table.