Mystified

A heavy, awkward silence made the air around them feel thick with tension.

Eddy stood up, took off his suit jacket and walked over to the camera. Brett remained seated, his head hung as he picked some lint off his shirt.

Eddy cleared his throat, "Well... that was..." He sat next to Brett again, camera in hand, "Interesting, I guess."

Brett nodded, not wanting to open his mouth. He couldn't understand the feeling that was radiating from his core. He wasn't sure he was eager to understand either. So he kept his mouth shut, begging for Eddy to bring up something other than the video they had just filmed.

"Maybe we should stop making Valentine's videos..." Eddy said softly, setting the camera on the table. He sighed, "It's always so awkward after we film them."

Brett shook his head, "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so quiet. It should be a fun video for the fans. It's definitely something different..." He trailed off when Eddy started laughing. "What?"

Eddy was hunched forward now, gripping his shirt, "Chill, bro. I wasn't being serious." He said before laughing some more.

A sudden burst of heat seemed to explode in Brett's chest as Eddy's laughter rang in his ears. He hunched forward, burying his face in his arms to hide what he assumed to be his blushing face.

What was this feeling? Was it just some bizarre aftershock of reading a fan fiction? Was Eddy feeling it too?

Brett groaned, "Eddy..." he said softly, lifting his head to look at his best friend. "Do you -" He was cut off by Eddy's phone ringing.

"Sorry. Hold that thought." Eddy said, holding up a finger as he answered the call.

Brett found himself watch Eddy's lips move – he found himself captivated. So he hastily stood up, leaving their studio to drink some water. He was suddenly aware of how hot he was feeling.

Something was definitely wrong.

He didn't want to be distracted again, so he decided to sit alone in Eddy's living room. He wanted to silence his thoughts, and to snap out of whatever trance he was in. And that's when he realized he wanted to read more fan fictions.

"Hey, Brett?" Eddy called out from their studio before quickly making his way to the living room. "That was my mum. She asked me to go see her for something." He went to his bedroom and came back wearing jeans and a jacket, "You going to stay? I could drive you home."

Brett's mouth was absolutely dry, but he knew he had to say something. He cleared his throat, "I'll stay, if that's alright."

Eddy smiled, "Of course it's alright. Just don't eat up my pantry." He joked, quietly laughing to himself.

Neither one of them expected what happened next.

Eddy walked over to Brett and kissed the top of his head.

A moment of heavy silence passed before Eddy finally moved away. He cleared his throat but didn't say anything as he walked to the front door. He cleared his throat again as he turned the knob, "I'll see you later."

Stunned, and undeniably overwhelmed, Brett wasn't able to say anything back. When he heard the door click shut, he threw himself on the couch, burying his face in the cushion. That burst of heat in his chest from earlier was back, and this time, his heart was beating much too fast.

"What the hell, Eddy..." he groaned, hugging himself and trying to make sense of what was going on with him.

When his heart finally slowed down a little, he managed to get up and walk back to their studio. He saw that Eddy's laptop was still open. He was about to turn it off, but he saw that the window with the fan fiction was also still open.