Dilemma

Eddy P.O.V.

I stop halfway through Tchaikovsky violin concerto when the door opened. I knew it was Brett, so I didn't really have to stop playing or anything. 

But something felt wrong the moment he opened the door.

"Hey man." I say as I try to read his movements.

He let out a heavy sigh before abruptly taking a seat. He basically deflated on the chair as he let out a groan, "Eddy..." he said, his voice almost breaking, "What should I do?"

I put my violin back in its case before grabbing a seat, settling next to Brett, "What's wrong?"

His hands move up to his eyes, pushing his glasses up to his hair, "They said they want me to teach at some American music conservatory."

My heart sank. I hate being reminded that Brett is a year older than me, and that we will have to lead separate lives after he graduates. He's been my best friend all my life, and I hate being away from him.

I move my chair closer to his and put an arm around him, "What did you tell them?"

He leaned toward me, his head falling on my shoulder. Only then did I realize that he was crying, "I asked how long I have to think about it. I have until graduation."

"Three weeks, huh?" I say, trying to ignore the fact that three weeks would just fly by. It wasn't enough time at all.

His arms wrap around my torso and he pulls me closer to him, "This sucks. I have enough on my mind."

It was true. Brett's been stressing over so many things after he found out he was going to graduate on time. He had so many options, but that only made him freak out more.

He was offered a one-year contract as concert master for the Sydney Symphony Orchestra. He was offered to play as a soloist with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, for at least three seasons, back-to-back. And he has multiple offers from European and American orchestras as well.

We both knew this day would come – the day when we had to talk about the future. We started a YouTube channel together on a whim. And we both knew we were going to have to discuss the future of our channel.

I clear my throat as an attempt to keep my tears from falling, "I really hate to bring this up..." I clear my throat again, but the tears came anyway, "What about twosetviolin?"

Brett moved away then, standing up and turning away from me. He groaned as his hands tug on his hair, "That's not fair Eddy."

I stand up as well, moving away from him, "No, Brett, it isn't. But when has it ever been fair for us? We knew this day was coming. We just kept avoiding it. And now, we're out of time. You only have three weeks left, and then you have to decide what to do with your life. I still have a year left here, and I'm already aching over it. Nothing is fair, Brett. So let's talk about it right now."

He groaned again. I feel him move toward me, his hands grip my shoulders. He makes me turn to face him, and our tear-streaked faces finally see each other.

"Eddy..." he started, his hands moving up to my face, "I don't know." His thumbs brush over my cheeks, wiping away the tears, "I don't know what I want to do."

I sigh, moving away from him to sit down. My body felt weak and I knew I wouldn't be able to hold myself up much longer. "And I don't know what to tell you. You know what you want, Brett. You're just worried about losing opportunities, and that's why it's taking you forever to make up your mind."

He sat next to me, taking my hand into his, "I'm not excited about leaving you behind, again." He said quietly, his thumb brushing over my knuckles, "That's one of the reasons why I don't want to decide yet."