Chapter Three

He knew that tonight was going to be a particularly long one, much like any other in hindsight. The only difference being, that he was going to be taking his young daughter out, to a friend's birthday party. Not the most exciting of endeavors for Damian himself, though he figured this to be better than spending yet another night alone... Sitting at the kitchen table, staring down, aimlessly at nothing but the bottom of yet another hopeless glass of tasteless wine. It was an endless circle, from which Damian could see no escape.

"I do hope that Linnella will like the gift I've brought for her!"

Sadie gestured briefly, towards the average-sized, pale blue backpack which sat comfortably on her shoulders. She seemed to be in high spirits, quite the opposite of the ferocious, pressing weather conditions the two had found themselves in. Damian allowed himself to smile, slightly.

"I'm sure she's just going to love it, Sadie, just you wait!" He smiled, warmly.

At least for tonight, he'd have some company and a temporary way out of that repetitive cycle of his. This, if anything, was most definitely something Damian could be excited about – or try to be, at the very least. If for nobody else, he wanted more than anything to put on a brave face, for little Sadie. It was, after all, his utmost bravery and strength that had truly gotten them both this far. Coping without Francesca had been far from easy for the two, but somehow, something was telling them both that they had to keep pushing forward. That it wouldn't at all be an impossible task for them to do. Francesca had surely taught her loving family a lot.

The storm still continued to rage on violently around them, mercilessly taking almost everyone and everything in its path with it. Loud, thunderous crackles sounded as if they could be heard for miles; with the brightest of lightning strikes piercing the open skies. Rain poured from the Heavens in an almost waterfall-like way, drenching whatever it hit; hiding plants, animals and objects alike under a freezing cold veil of icy, chilled water. Things were looking far from fortunate for Sadie and Damian, but the two just had to push on regardless – they had come too far now, to let themselves be put-off by a little rainwater in their way.

Looking across, briefly, at the shining young face sitting beside him; Damian allowed himself to breathe to calm himself. Every single time he locked eyes with her, that very same thought would always cross his mind – she looked almost exactly like her mother. This was seen as both a blessing and a curse to poor Damian, as he had tragically lost his dear, loving wife only two years ago now. In fact, tonight marked the two year mark since her passing. Truth was, even to this day, not one person whom was close to Francesca could begin to fathom exactly what happened to her. She was once so bright, shining and full of life throughout her younger years. It was only upon reaching adulthood, that the tables started to truly turn for her. From there, it was simply just a downward spiral to the end. No viable escape to be seen, at all.

"Come on Sadie, I think it's high time we continue our journey now. If we're lucky, there'll be a break in the storm soon and we'll be making good ground."

Cold and wet, tired and exhausted; Damian cautiously took Sadie's hand and the two got up from the bench. Sadie, although evidently trying her utmost to appear happy, just wasn't in the mood for party attending.

As a matter of fact, the only true reason she was going, was as a colourless attempt to take her mind off tonight's anniversary. "Okay, I'm coming now!"

It was truly a shock to not only herself, but also to what little remaining family Francesca still had contact with at the time. The first Damian knew of his beloved becoming so seriously unwell, was more of a gradual realization than anything. He had been having to take more and more care of her, for a number of weeks, before she was finally admitted to hospital. Damian almost felt awful for doing so, but what choice did he have? As hard as it was for him to admit to himself, he simply couldn't do all this alone... He needed help, and he knew he needed it fast.

"We'll be nearing the busy roads fairly soon, Sadie. So, I want you to promise me you won't leave my side. It's important that I'm able to keep an eye on you, at all times."

As Damian spoke these words of caution to his daughter, even he couldn't be truly sure of whether she'd heard him. But he truly did his best regardless, to keep watch on both her and their surroundings. A knowingly difficult task, for any parent.

A young, growing girl in her position just hadn't the fortitude, to carry the full weight of her mother's death. Her still growing shoulders, just couldn't take it alone. It simply wouldn't be at all fair to ask her to, particularly at such an early stage in her life. She deserved so much better, for someone so young.

When faced with the heavy weight of the world upon such weak, meek shoulders; how is it at all possible to decide what information to dismiss and what to believe? Yes or no, wrong from right, the guilty from the innocent... Who has the right to so openly cast such callous judgement on their fellow man, particularly with such little information available? It is surely an impossible task, is it not? ...It sure feels like one, huh?

This was one reason she had always made a point, to show how grateful she was to her father. For how he had shown the courage and spirit to continue fighting on, even when all seemed lost and everything around him seemed to be falling apart. It was his ongoing faith in himself and Sadie, that had kept him going all this time. He truly owed a lot to her and he knew it, too. Deep down, he knew what he meant to young Sadie.