Chapter 19: The Duel

Outside the ship, four phantoms hovered. Below them, a single scarab walker was waiting, fully manned and aiming to kill. It looked more like a scorpion than a scarab. Like the insect, it had an arched back, but instead of a stinger, it toted an AA cannon. It had a focus rifle for a mouth and staggered about on four legs.

The display of force filled them with terror. Everyone but the spartans backed away. What was more unsettling was that they didn't fire. The scarab alone could wipe them from existence. They all knew that. So why didn't it? Dropping the weapons, minus a rocket launcher, the spartans ordered the others away. To their surprise, Aaron didn't look at the scarab. Instead, his eyes fell on a lone elite.

Clad in grand armour and standing alone, he was the picture of menace. Harsh rain fell in sheets. The faint moonlight glistened in the slick mud. Rain steamed on the elite's shielding, a hazy sheen surrounding him. His dark eyes, filled with a focus and hatred unlike anything he'd ever known, bore deep into Aaron. In his heart, he knew something had to be done.

"Get to the hangar, take the beacon and get out of here." Aaron leapt from the gantry, out of the ship. He landed in the mud and fell to his knees. With a grunt, he stood straight and strode towards his foe.

Marie picked up her sniper and aimed to fire. As she grasped the weapon, the scarab charged up its cannon. The deathly green glow illuminated the night and an ear-splitting screech cut through the silence. As he rifle dropped, the walker powered down the gun. "I understand," She whispered to herself.

"Aaron, Felix said something about honour. This elite wishes to best us in single combat. If we should not comply, the walker will kill us all."

"Understood 3. Get out of here, that's an order." Aaron didn't pause when he spoke. He continued to the elite, walking with purpose. Heavy strides. A straight back. Steely eyes.

He radioed Sarah. "Commander, we have a situation."

"What kind of situation?"

"Scarab and four phantoms. I've got them distracted, fighting some zealot. The others are on their way."

Sarah felt her heart beating faster as Aaron spoke. His next words hit her like blows. "I recommend immediate exfil. I'll keep them off you."

"Negative 2, I'm-"

"Too late for that." Aaron shut off the link.

He came within ten feet of the elite. They faced each other, like duellists of old. The boggy surface had yet to be turned to glass. Aaron's feet sank into the mud.

The rain continued to pelt down, gathering in puddles of stagnant water beside them. It ran off his armour. He raised his shotgun. The elite barked, pointing to the scarab. It glowed a sickly green, which faded when Aaron cast aside his gun.

The elite grunted and drew its sword. The air around it shimmered from the heat, hissing steam rising in a cloud. The mist made it hard to see, but Aaron didn't care. Taking up a combat stance, he drew his knife. How long could he last? Long enough to save his own life?

The Elite raced forward to strike, lunging at Aaron. It was faster than he anticipated. Aaron rolled aside from the blow and swung the blade at the elite. His body got stuck in the mud. His thrust fell short and he sank back into the mud. It sucked him in like a vacuum.

The elite leapt down to impale Aaron. He rolled aside and staggered to his feet. He hadn't started well and he knew it. He took the offensive. He threw out fast slashes, none of which connected.

Rolling backwards, the elite panted from exertion as it and Aaron began to circle again. Neither party had sustained damage, but each grew cautious. This time, Aaron struck first.