Chapter 4: Midnight

As the pelican drifted over the mire, the sun sank below the lip of the valley. Orange rays bathed the foul green mud in a warm, comforting light. It almost seemed pleasant. As the skids touched down, personnel rushed to greet them. The live doctor followed medical units into the hospital wing, answering multitudes of questions about their health. A mortuary team put Harold's cold grey corpse into a body bag and took it away. Richard watched wistfully as they disappeared into the structure. A suspicious man dressed in black peered at them, escorting the doctor. Marie locked eyes with him, only breaking away when Richard spoke. "The commander radioed ahead. They'll make their way back with the others. We're free for now." 

Marie fell back into her muddy, mundane present. Rampant suspicion of the stranger vanished into the mist. "Ah, wonderful," she said. She motioned to the barracks, "Shall we?" 

Richard nodded, walking with her over the sparse, flattened grass.

A few hours later, they had reported back and had their armour removed. It was a time-consuming process, with mechanised aids required to prise it from their skin. They were questioned extensively on the performance, singing the praises of the new technology. Afterwards, away from the bodysuit and bombardment, Richard felt free. No longer confined to stifling claustrophobia, free to move. An hour had passed in their dorm. Both soldiers felt an ungodly weariness wash over them, yet neither could bring themselves to sleep. Richard had considered music but, as Marie simply gazed into the middle distance, ignoring his voice, he decided against it. He'd bounced a ball against the wall and caught it for the longest time until his boredom got the best of him."I'm hungry."

Marie didn't look up. 

"I wonder what rations we've got today. Brown slop, or off grey slop?" As he'd hoped, this made Marie chuckle. Her eyes lifted and she replied "I feel brown is a likely candidate today. However, it is dreary enough to warrant grey."

"You are a ray of sunshine today, aren't you?"

"Does this day deserve joy?"

"I suppose not. Poor doctor. I didn't see it coming."

"It seems none of us did." She fell silent. Something had been gnawing at her all day. "I fear we are growing complacent, Richard. Lazy."

"Meaning?"

"Do you remember our training?"

Richard held back a violent shudder. He didn't think he would ever forget. "Yes, I remember it. Tougher than Alpha company's, they said." 

"Indeed. Do you remember the values they instilled in us? Vigilance, preparation, ruthlessness. Teamwork..."

"What are you getting at?"

"We are...too many mistakes, Richard. Derek admitted he saw a shimmer of active camouflage. Had he notified us, even had it been nothing, we could have prepared. Harold could still be alive."

"We didn't expect anything. Not with the last time being clear."

"Maybe not. I maintain we should have been on guard."

"Were we not? I did five fly-bys. What would you call that? Laziness?"

"No, no. It is...hard to explain. I feel we...humanity, the UNSC, we are sick of the war." 

The statement hung in the air. It suddenly grew very cold. Richard's breathing slowed. "Marie..." He didn't know how to respond. What could he say? He had been eight years old when he was augmented. A child. All he really knew was how to be a soldier. "Did you ever think you would be a soldier?"