Chapter 1

(Clara's POV)

Wow. I really can't believe it.

It's our first day of senior year.

Only one year left of homecoming. Only one year left for high school football games. Only one year left till we all go our separate ways and finally decide what we want to do with our lives.

"Hey, do I know you? You look vaguely familiar." I hear a voice around me, and I immediately recognize it as the voice of one of my best friends, Jason Kendall. I let out an excited shriek and turn around to tackle him into a hug. He laughs as he hugs me back as well, wrapping his arms around me like a big brother would.

"Oh my god, I haven't seen you in weeks!" I say, remembering the time when he slept over before him and his family went on their summer trip to Hawaii. "Have you finally gotten rid of your paleness?" I ask, looking him up and down skeptically.

He scoffs and shoves me in the shoulder lightly. "I come back after so long and this is the welcome home I get? Maybe I'll sue."

"Don't worry, next time we'll throw you a party with balloons and cupcakes." I turn again to see another one of my best friends, Noah Chambers. Walking closely behind him is another one of my best friends (wow I have a lot of guy best friends) Hunter Adams. I walk over to them both and pull them both into a hug.

"Yes, I would very much appreciate that." Jason says, walking over to us once I'm done hugging the boys. He smiles and hugs Noah in that bro-friendship kind of way before doing the same to Hunter. "I missed you all in Hawaii. It's boring there without you guys."

"Hawaii is full of active and very much could-kill-you volcanoes. How is it boring?" Hunter asks. I notice his hand wrapping itself around Noah's waist, and I smile to myself.

Hunter and Noah have been dating for a while now, will be a year in a few months. They got together last year, but decided to not come out yet. However, the choice of not wanting to come out didn't really matter when Jack Taylor decided to ruin it all. Long story short, he was on the football team with Hunter and Noah and had come to figure out that the two were dating. With the help of a few other people, he managed to out Hunter and Noah to the whole school. Jason punched Jack, we got called to the principal's office, and Jack got expelled. He can't come back.

The two of them have come a long way, and I'm so proud of them. They have a really good relationship. The type of relationship that I would want.

"Whatever. I still missed you guys." Jason says, crossing his arms stubbornly and leaning against the lockers.

"We missed you too, asshole." I say, noticing the familiar flop of blond hair in the distance as another guy friend of mine, Evan Garcia. He see's all of us and smiles, walking over.

"What'd I miss?" We all catch him up on Jason's trip to Hawaii, with Jason beaming proudly about how he was able to ride a wave on his first time surfing.

"Well If you must know," Noah starts, over exaggerating an annoyed sigh, "Hunter and I went to Florida with his family for a week. A crab almost pinched me."

Hunter laughs. "Babe. The crab was, like, ten feet away."

Noah rolls his eyes. "It was going to pinch me, I just knew it."

Jason looks over at me. "What did you do during the summer?"

I shrugged. "Nothing. You guys are my entertainment."

We all talked for a while about things before it was time to go to class. I said goodbye to my boys before I started my walk towards Calculus.

I was almost to the door of the classroom before I turned and saw her.