Chapter III

It was a bright Monday morning with the sun's brilliant rays of light shining upon the glass panes that walled JD's office. It was barely past 8 am but the businessman was already deep into work, seated in his office that was at the highest floor of the fifteen storey building.

The screen of his MacBook Pro was opened up to him as he typed away on the keyboard when suddenly, the telecom on his desk buzzed and he reached to answer it.

"Sir," came Ms. Chida's breezy voice. "The El-Gharz's are on the other line, I think its urgent, let me put you over right now."

On waiting for Ms. Chida to connect the lines, a hint of worry started to grow in JD's mind. The El-Gharz Brothers were to come to the office today and sign the contract that would bind their companies for a three year term so why did they need to call him?

"Morning Mr. Dangote." Sheikh, one of the brothers said.

"Yes, good morning Mr. El Gharz. We have the papers all set up sir, just waiting for your signatures on the contract papers then we'll be officially in business."

"About that Mr. Dangote..." Sheikh said trailing off a bit and JD's worries instantly grew. "...the reason I call is to inform you that we have changed our minds. We're sorry to say that we have recieved a better offer and will no longer like the deal with your company to commence."

"Better offer?" JD said heavily shocked and almost breathlessly. "But sir, considering the amount my company's willing to invest, I assure you will find no better offer than ours."

"We're sorry Mr. Dangote but the deal's already done and the papers already signed, we've merged with Joon Inc."

JD closed his eyes, his grasp tightening over the phone; he simply should have known. Idris Kembi was there in the event that Friday night so surely the viper was up to something and this was it. He had succeeded in snatching away such a big deal from right under JD's nose.

"I do wish you would reconsider Mr. El Gharz, our company is the best you can venture into business with." Eventhough JD was anything but calm at the moment, he had managed to say that as gently as he could through gritted teeth.

"We are business men here so Mr. Dangote, I trust you will understand that once a contract is signed, nothing can be changed. El-Gharz Brothers company ofcourse wishes you well."

That was when the call was cut on the other side and immediately the receiver went blank, JD flung it across the room where it crashed loudly against the wall and fell to the ground in pieces.

He pressed a hand over his forehead as he paced through the room in a bid to calm himself down but that did no help, Idris Kembi had really done it this time.

"Sir?" Ms.Chida said as she rushed into the room with a worried expression. The sound of the crash had no doubt alerted her. "Is everything alright sir?"

"A moment please, Dumebi." JD answered in a low voice with his hand still cradling his head willing her to leave.

And though reluctantly, the assistant fluttered out of the room just as she had fluttered in, leaving a distort JD to himself.

Hardly a few minutes had passed when he burst out the office and was so hurriedly determined in his walk that he did not even stop at his assistant's desk when he addressed her.

"Dumebi, walk with me now."

"Yes sir." Ms. Chida answered as she gladly abandoned her work and followed her boss into the lift where they descended to the bottom floor and exited the building.

As JD turned on the ignition of his Lexus LX, he turned towards his assistant who was stunned at sitting with him in his car for the very first time.