39.

Chantale Gordon was a nervous wreck.

Tonight will be her first appearance as Michael Humphrey's woman in public. She was able to have private lunches and dinners with him upon her request but he grew restless of her hiding their relationship. She will admit it that she was scared. Her status in Michael's world was a constant reminder to her. No matter how many times he reassured her that he had no problem with it, what she experienced away from his attentive presence challenged her thinking. The women under her management grew mean sides when Michael made his interest known. Snide remarks were made, shifts being missed and customer complaints increased thanks to the ladies new behavior towards them. Not once did she tell Michael but she confided in her mother. Her mother had lots to say about the girls and Chantale agreed, for a while. 

Scenarios of someone recognizing her wherever Michael took them kept playing in her mind. Embarrassing him was on her mind and humiliating her self, thinking she was good enough to be with a handsome, rich CEO like him. Chantale never saw herself as gorgeous or divine beauty as Michael sees her. At a young age, she knew she was worth nothing, her father made sure of that. Abuse both physically and emotionally was reigned down upon both her and her mother. The man she once called 'dad' left after he threw her mother down a two flight of stairs, paralyzing the woman for the rest of her life. Chantale became a statistic of teenage pregnancy at 17, ditched by the father of her child for someone better looking and well-off, no high school diploma and was only sought out for sex by other men when she looked for work.  It was a neighborhood friend told her about the classy strip club blocks away from their neighborhood. She was skeptical at first but her interview with Raizon Delacourde calmed her. She started off as one of the teasers before she became confident to do full striptease sessions. Delacourde pays well. Paychecks from the club were enough for her to acquire a three-bedroom house with wheelchair access in a welcoming neighborhood. Her mother was happy and her son Chase was happy, as well.

Fiddling with her phone she was tempted to call Michael and cancel the date but the ringing of the doorbell stopped her. She froze and looked towards her mother who now wore an amused smile on her face. Her mother knew how unsettled she was, at the moment she wished her son was awake, he will probably distract Michael, giving her time to think of an excuse. The doorbell rang again, this time her mother answered from her spot in her favorite chair. "She'll be right there." 

Chantale scrambled to her feet and began to pace for a moment before opening the door. Makers of the universe, the man knew how to wear a suit. Gone were his casual work suit of blue, black and gray only to be replaced with a blue paisley dinner jacket, black inner shirt, and slim fitted black slacks. His hair was styled to stay away from his eyes and behind his ear, giving every woman the perfect view of his gorgeous blue eyes and handsome face. On his right little finger was a gold ring with a ruby design which matched the gold ruby crusted watch on his wrist. She didn't know how long she has been standing there gaping at the man but his warm lips against hers brought her out of that daze. His soft chuckle was muted by her lips before he pulled away. "You look breathtaking also, baby," he said in her ear. Chantale looked down at the floor-length black dress that emphasized each of her curves. The dress was designed to be risque and elegant with its V cut front to show a bit of cleavage and a deep cut in the black with a crisscross design. The sleeves were lace that ended at her elbow with slight ruffles to show more elegance. Her blonde hair was styled in a sleek chignon bun showing off the diamond teardrop earrings she gifted herself upon her promotion. 

"Thank you."

Michael kissed her lips once more before walking past her to go to her mother. "Miss Eve," he greeted her with a loud kiss to her cheek, making the older woman laugh jovially.