XXXI) Deeper

Somehow, Rue managed to convince Ignis that sharing the bed wouldn't be the worst, most unprofessional thing in the world. Still, he insisted on sleeping on top of the covers and on the opposite side, balanced on the very edge of the mattress. At least he wasn't cramped on that tiny couch the girl mentioned. Rue slept better than she had in months, awakening to the sound of her phone alarm. She sat up sleepily, rubbing her eyes, and pushed her glasses on. Ignis sat at the table, reading a newspaper and drinking coffee from a slender black mug. He peered over the paper upon hearing her stir awake.

"Anna left some coffee for you as well."

"Anna?" Rue frowned, sitting up. Her heart throbbed at the sound of the name passing her lips. What sort of sick joke is this? "That lady from yesterday?"

"Yes." He folded up his newspaper as she stood and hobbled toward him, pulling her shorts down from where they'd crept up her legs overnight.

"What's first on the agenda?" she asked, sitting in the chair beside him and crossing her bare legs. "Hunt down Madame Secretary?"

"Not quite; Noct has a meeting with her at noon we both must attend."

"Both of us?"

"Yes; you will record notes and I will help Noct with his discussion."

"Sounds good. Anything before that?"

"Not that I'm aware of. We're free to roam the city until then."

"In that case, I'll probably spend some time bothering Prom—" Her ringtone cut her words short, and when she saw the name on her screen, she leaped to her feet, heart pounding and face going pale. "Hello?"

"Rue?" Her heart went from fearful to soaring with joy. She breathed a sigh of relief, pressing a hand to her chest. Ignis raised an eyebrow.

"Eren! I thought someone was calling me to report your death!"

"Glad that you're confident in my ability to survive," he scoffed on the other line. His voice was low, quiet. He sounded exhausted. "It's night over here. Thought I'd call to let you know I was alive."

"I'm glad you did." Rue couldn't wipe the smile off her face as she headed onto the balcony, leaving Ignis alone in the room. "How's everything going? Any super scary stuff yet?"

"It's super scary stuff from the get-go," he huffed. "But, hey, it's definitely not stuff I can't handle. It's going better than I thought it would."

"Don't jinx it." Rue leaned forward against the stone rail, watching Altissia awaken as the sun climbed higher into the sky. "I'm glad to hear that."

"How're things going on your end?"

"Same old, same old. Rayne still hates me and Prompto's been an absolute life saver for my sanity."  

"I'm glad he's your friend."

"Yeah, me too." She chewed on her cheek, unsure of what else to say. That she was worried? That she wanted him there, even if it was just to make her laugh? It wouldn't do him any good to hear those things.

"So, listen," Eren said, his voice hesitant. He paused; Rue wondered if he was checking to see if anyone was around. "I have to go, but I've been meaning to tell you something. I meant to say it in person, but I guess I'm a #$%^&, so..." He sighed and Rue's heart began to race. Don't. "I just... being so far away and realizing what I have to lose makes it so much harder to ignore. And I know I'm in danger out here; I might as well say something before it's too late."