Ch 14 - Malachite Pendant

Magsimula sa umpisa

* * *

February continued and she thought she could sense some improvement in her abilities. But just when she thought she was making some progress, the subject would move on to something new and it all became difficult again. 

She had been reading all about the power that stones and minerals were supposed to have from the library book she had brought home. As a scientist, she knew there could be no truth in this, and yet she was fascinated by it.

And then in Chemistry, the subject of minerals came up, particularly with reference to Alderley Edge. Tin and copper had been mined in past centuries. In fact, copper was first mined in both Alderley Edge and China around the same time. 

As well as metals, people had dug out many different types of minerals and stones. Not diamonds or emeralds, but others that were valuable in their own way.

One of the students had suggested that some stones had special powers. The teacher had raised a disapproving eyebrow, pointing out that there was no scientific proof of the alleged power of precious stones. The conversation had moved on but the idea stuck in Olivia’s mind.

In the kitchen that evening after dinner, Olivia was looking at her phone, whilst Liz used Facebook on the laptop. She had over 1500 Facebook friends and spent a lot of time keeping up to date with them, making comments and posting her own news updates. 

“Oh, look,” said Liz, “you know Spencer, the guy who does the internet stuff, married to an Italian woman? He’s just posted another photo of his little son. He’s very proud of him. Here, look Livvy.”

Olivia went over to the computer and looked at the photo.

“He seems a very happy little fellow, always smiling. Look, they’re on holiday in Italy, he’s with their relatives”

Olivia smiled too.

“He’s suffers from, well not suffers, he just, sort of like, has – you know – Down’s Syndrome.”

Again Olivia looked at her mum and at the picture and nodded.

“Of course in the old days, they had a different word for it. I’ll never forget, when I was only 10, our auntie had a baby. She was quite old actually. I knew there was something wrong when Mum showed me into the room to see the baby. He was in a cot, eyes closed, tiny, poor little thing. And then Mum leaned over and whispered into my ear ‘mongoloid’. Ooh, that word. It still sends shivers down my spine.”

Olivia closed and opened her eyes, and said nothing.

“Now they call it Down’s Syndrome, or just ‘Learning Difficulties’.”

 They looked at more pictures of the boy on the screen.

“Well in that case,” said Olivia smiling, “if he’s got learning difficulties, judging from my last score in the Physics test, I must have it as well!” They both laughed.

“Oh, Olivia,” said Liz, “I’m glad you’ve got your fantastic brain!”

They both paused for a moment, looking at the photo of the boy on the screen.

“Mum” said Olivia, looking up, “there was something I wanted to ask you.”

“Yes, darling?”

“Do you think stones have special powers? We were talking about it in Chemistry today.”

Liz looked up surprised.

“Special powers? I didn’t think you’d be learning about that in Chemistry?”

“It’s just that someone suggested it. Do you believe in it?”