Chapter 14: Order for One, please

Start from the beginning

I return the dress into the basket, clutching onto the other dress. I can feel Gwen's eyes on the fabric, memories attached to them. The length falls toward the floor as I pull out the next dress. I hold it up to keep it off the floor, but it still almost touches with the long length. The fabric is a faded crimson red. The neck is woven with a golden pattern that continues down the long slim sleeves. A simple golden design is woven through the more solid waist of the dress, making the curl of the base clear.

"I don't remember my Mother well, but I know she wore that dress on special occasions", Gwen whispers. "She was a maid in a nobleman's household, so she had to have something for events-"

"I can't have this", I object, already trying to force the dress back into Gwen's possession. I know it must hurt her to give this to me. I don't see why she wouldn't wear it herself. For a servant, this would be worth a good few coins. I can't take that from her.

Gwen giggles. "No, Edythe. I have no need for it, and I want to give it to you."

I want to continue protesting, not wanting to take away something so precious to her. Before I can press on the matter, a knock at the door distracts us. Our heads turn to the door. Our argument ceases as Leon appears in the doorway, Elyan peering over his back.

"Sorry to intrude. Elyan said you would be cleaning Gwen, so I sought to lend a hand" Leon offers manners like a saint. Leon's easy-going, kind nature always amuses me. I think because I had grown so used to his serious Knight face and not his off-job personality.

"Oh, you don't have to", Gwen protests, already headed toward the door to scold her brother.

"No, it's no bother at all", Leon assures, entering the house pulling off his red cloak to rest it on a stool. Elyan follows behind, mimicking his friend's actions. "Edythe", both men greet in unison. "Gaius."

Gaius and I give back greetings and waves. I return the dress into the woven basket, not feeling right holding it any longer than I should. Elyan catches sight of the dress, a grim expression flooding his eyes. He chooses not to speak on it, turning to his sister with a greeting smile. "I got you something," he muses, handing a small pouch to Gwen.

"Elyan. You shouldn't," Gwen scolds, taking the pouch in hand.

"I know. I just don't like leaving you without and alone down here," Elyan presses. He watches eagerly as his sister pulls out a wooden carving of a horse from the pouch. Her face lights up in excitement, immediately hugging and thanking her brother.

The moment makes me wonder how Elyan is a knight. If his father was a blacksmith and his mother a servant, he is not of noble birth. Only sons of nobility can assign for knighthood. I mentally note to ask someone about that minor detail. There must be a reason. As Elyan had said, he hates to leave Gwen without, meaning he tries to give money to his sister.

"I wish I had a brother as caring", Leon jokes. He nudges me on the shoulder playfully as he takes the boom from beside me and begins to sweep.

My interest peeks. "You have brothers?"

"Just one", Leon states a low smirk on his lips. "Although, I'm sure he will take the path of assuming hold of our family's estate."

"Not as a knight?" The statement confuses me. Most noblemen would choose to take the pledge, the most incredible honour in all the lands.

"Made too much of a good reputation for him to live up to, is that it?" I tease, nudging the knight.

Leon chuckles. "That may be a reason" his expression falls severe despite our joking behaviour. "No...I believe he wishes to keep what little our family has left...."