Chapter 2

Marinette stared straight ahead, leaning on Luka's shoulder. The way his fingers moved nimbly to create the familiar tune of her heart let her breathe more steadily. The calmness allowed her eyes to flutter shut, as she admired the harmonious melody.

Leaves rustled in the slight breeze, making Marinette drift back into reality where she realised that the tune was not playing anymore. However, her disappointment was short-lived as a muscular arm wrapped around her form, pulling her in for a hug.

Though it was unexpected, she gladly returned it and opened her eyes, only to see that Luka's chest appeared different. Where his heart was there was instead a hollow space, with four strings across it.

Obviously, it was a guitar. At least, that was what Marinette originally thought until it dawned on her that there was no space between them for an instrument of the size.

Her breath hitched in her throat when she met the teal eyes of her classmate's brother. The smile gracing his lips was kind and gentle - clashing with the akuma symbol hovering in front of his face.

Marinette pulled back, scooting away from him on the bench. Her breathing quickened, as her body was paralyzed in fear and the only think that jolted her back into the real world was a wiggling from her purse.

The symbol disappeared, and when he acknowledged the distance between them, a frown etched across his now pale blue-skinned face.

The girl frantically stood up, making a run for the exit of the park. Her hair was flowing in the wind, as it drifted through her locks. Just as she was about to step onto the pavement, the strum of a guitar string caught her attention.

She stopped sprinting, listening as a slow, deep melody drifted into her ears. The way it was played gave her the impression that it was meaningful and heartfelt, and as she glanced backwards she caught the sight of her friend standing nearby, plucking at his heartstrings.

The melody flooded her senses, making her feet move on their own accord. Slowly, she made her way to the source of the mesmerising music, where the teenager stood, smirking.

Marinette's eyes remained fixed on his, the now vibrant green of them keeping her in place in front of him. It was as if she was stuck in a web - the more she resisted, the more hypnotic the tune became, drawing her in even more.

"You don't need to resist, Marinette," Luka whispered, still performing the tune. "Give in to it..."

Her eyes begun to shut, yet she still fought to keep them open. Heartstring smiled, sensing her inner battle.

"Rest, Marinette," his smooth voice coaxed. "Aren't you tired of Lila's lies? Don't you want a break from it all?"

Heartstring watched her carefully, knowing the subject caused her strength to waver.

"It's hard, isn't it - having to hear her voice only spewing lies? Having to deal with your so-called 'friends' turn their backs on you? You never have to listen to her, or any of them again," the akuma promised, leaning even closer. "Just give in, let it flood your senses. I promise, music and me will be the only things you have to hear."

Marinette processed his words, words coated in poison yet spoken with the softness of silk. His breath lingered on her cheek as she contemplated the vow.

The vow to rest. To listen to the melody forever.

To not have to deal with Lila's threat ringing in her ears, constantly.

She felt herself drowning in the music, but her breathing remained steady and calm. Like the aura around them. Stress-free and peaceful. It made her question why she resisted when she could feel so relaxed and unbothered by those around her.

Heartstring ceased his playing, watching as Marinette swayed side to side in a trance, a small smile on her lips. It made one spread across his as he scooped her off of her feet gently, sighing contentedly when she immediately wound her arms around his neck, burying her head in the crook of his neck.

"I told you," he whispered. "You'll be safe from everyone, my Melody."

She found herself unconsciously agreeing, tightening her grip on her saviour as he leaped across the rooftops towards the school where her tormentors resided.