Chapter Nineteen

Hey everyone, and welcome back to Pixel! c:

So it looks like my research and constant hint-dropping, as well as the trip to AT&T on Wednesday, has finally paid off! I'm going to be upgrading to Verizon on Tuesday and I'll be getting an iPhone 5C to replace my 3GS! Eee, so hyped! Maybe I'll post a picture on Wednesday's chapter c:

Sad as it is, guys, Pixel is winding down. After this chapter, there's only three left, including the epilogue! :c As much as it pains me to see this story come to a close (as I've loved writing this more than any of my other stories), I've still got a few new ones planned to come out shortly! 

Just a reminder that my little gift for you guys will be out on Friday, Halloween! :D

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter, and to vote and comment for more. Enjoy!

J O R D A N  [ B A Y A N I ]

We were finally going home.

After weeks upon weeks of training… we were finally getting out of here.

Similar thoughts battled for dominance in my mind as I prepared. I pulled on the enchanted armor that H and I had customized, slipping it on so that it was less bulky but still just as protective. They shimmered purple under my touch, sleek and warm. I yanked on my leggings and boots, leaving my helmet lying on the table as I continued to ready myself. I grabbed one of the sheaths that Tomahawk and Grape had worked on and fit it to my waist, slipping my diamond sword into it: a perfect fit. I tested the tautness of my bow string, plucking it a couple times before storing it safely in my hotbar, along with a few stacks of arrows. I sifted through chests, taking some food, enderpearls, eyes of ender (leaving some for the others), a few stacks of cobblestone, a pickaxe, and a jack-o-lantern. I glanced at it in slight disgust before placing it with the other necessities.

Grape entered the room just as I was finishing. He looked rather impressive in his fighting gear: if his lean and strong figure hadn’t been enough before, the armor simply made him appear more powerful. The sword at his side (also in a sheath) and the bow (which he had attached to his back for quick access, as the bow was his weapon of choice) completed the look. He gave me a once-over as I finished strapping the armor on securely.

“You look ready.” His tone was light, but there was a hard undertone that I didn’t miss. He was nervous, too.

“As I’ll ever be.” I picked up my helmet and strapped it to my head, delighting in the fact that H had fixed them so that they were more comfortable. “I can’t believe we’re really about to do this.”

“Neither can I,” he admitted. “But like Ash said, it’s our best shot. We’re gaining nothing by waiting for weeks at a time. This is our chance.”

I sighed nervously. “I guess so. I just hope we make it through alive.”

Grape was silent, and I could tell he had his doubts. Honestly, I did, too: it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to avoid injury. It was just as likely that someone would lose all their hearts.

It made my heart wrench just thinking about it.

I was torn from the horrors of my thoughts when Grape spoke softly. “Dawn just broke. It’s time to go.”

“Alright.” I followed him into the entryway, where everyone else was waiting in full battle regalia. I’ll admit, we looked pretty intimidating standing together like that, but the ender dragon wasn’t going to care. We had to rely on our wits and skill to get through this.

We left the base for the last time, standing together around the lake, where the faces of our friends sometimes appeared. I felt bad that we were leaving without telling them: especially since we may not return. 

Wherever you are, Will, I’m sorry. I’ll try to make it back, I promise. And I’ll bring Ash back, too.

I was jolted once more from my head when Grape tossed the first eye.

It flew high to the northeast before falling. Grape caught it in one hand as we passed.

It went on like this for hours. We took turns tossing eyes, following the directions monotonously. No one spoke. We ate as we got hungry while walking. We passed biome after biome, braving snow and rain, mesa and hills, taiga and desert. Finally, my heart leaped when Graser’s eye flew behind us slightly, the way we’d come.

TYBZI produced shovels and we began to dig a staircase, covering up the hole above us when we were all under. Tomahawk placed torches, and we crept down from damp soil into cool stone, the soft light bringing out the creases in our faces. Grape was in the lead with TYBZI and Straub, so I was in the back, behind Dul and Rusher. 

I’d staircased before: I’d been on mining team several times in similar situations, but something about the whole thing made me shiver. There was a certain foreboding feel to this mission. I couldn’t shake the possibility that one or more of us wouldn’t make it. I struggled to hold myself together, for the sake of the team and Will, who needed Ash and I.

At last TYBZI shouted that we’d reached mossy brick. We dropped one by one into the stronghold, weapons at the ready. Splitting into small groups of two to three, we scoured the area, searching for the portal. After about half an hour, there was a yell from H that his group had found it.

The sight of the portal itself made me shudder, even as Grape poured water over the lava and as Rusher and Graser torched the spawners. Nonetheless, I took my position in the group, placing two eyes into the spots closest to me on the portal. The others did the same, and soon enough Grape stood across from me, holding the final eye.

“Alright everyone,” he stated, looking around and meeting each of our eyes. “This is it. This is the big moment, what we’ve been waiting for. We need to stick together, keep our heads on and remember the training. With luck, we’ll all make it through this together.” When he said this, his eyes bore into mine, and I tried to hide a gulp. “Okay? Everybody ready?” When everyone nodded, Grape gathered his courage and placed the final eye.

The portal ignited, the center becoming an image that reminded me of the night sky. It swirled even as I stared at it. One at a time, my friends jumped in. Soon, I was the last one left.

I took a deep breath. We will make it through. It’ll be okay. Just one last battle to fight.

And my feet left the stone, greeting empty air instead.

The climax is near, guys! 

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

I have a little game for you. Press shuffle on your music list and type the first five songs that come up c: I want to get a sense of your music tastes! This is mine:

- Dear John by Taylor Swift (Speak Now)
- Leave Out All the Rest by Linkin Park (Minutes to Midnight)
- Dreams of an Absolution by LB Remix Factory (Sonic the Hedgehog Original Soundtrack)
- My Heart is Broken by Evanescence (Evanescence)
- Clocks by Coldplay (A Rush of Blood to the Head)

Vote and comment for more! Until next time! >;D

~Cherry