Chapter Twenty

Hey everybody, and welcome back to Pixel!

So originally I was going to get my new phone yesterday (Tuesday), but it's been delayed until tomorrow, so no picture until Saturday :c xD

My best friend has read this chapter already. We're waiting in anticipation... you'll understand in a bit.

A reminder that my treat for you guys comes out on Friday (Halloween)! Keep an eye out for that, and I'll also mention it in Saturday's chapter.

Remember to follow @code_cherry on Twitter, and to vote and comment for more. Here's chapter twenty: two to go after this!

S E A N  [ G R A P E ]

The first thing to hit me was the chill.

I crouched to absorb the impact of my fall, my boots thumping softly against hard obsidian. Waves of cold rolled over me, the polar opposite of the nether’s smothering heat, and I shivered unwillingly. I quickly built a cobblestone wall around the platform to prevent unwanted plummets into the void as the others began to spawn in around me, plopping down one by one. 

I did a head count. “Okay, we’re all here. You know the plan. Avoid taking damage, take out the towers and the dragon. Take off your pumpkin if you need to, but be careful with endermen. Got it?” Nods all around. “Let’s go. Good luck.”

And so, we began to inch toward the mainland. Rusher carefully built the stone path underneath us, while Graser and Tomahawk placed two block high walls on either side to keep us from slipping. The rest of us held our swords above our heads, preventing the dragon from shooting white-hot flames at us. I could hear the breathing of Ash and Bayani just behind me, and the light footsteps of Straub, TYBZI, Dul, and H a bit farther back. My own breaths were ragged, and I forced myself to calm down. Focus.

At last, we reached endstone. I shoved the pumpkin onto my head, grunting in irritation at the vision deficit it caused. I hurried forward with Tomahawk as we split into small groups, each heading for a tower. Dodging unaware endermen, we reached the furthest tower from the obsidian platform and stopped, panting. I yanked my bow from my back and notched an arrow, aiming as carefully as I could with the jack-o-lantern on, and fired. The arrow embedded itself into the obsidian a few inches below the healing mechanism. Beside me, Tomahawk took a shot, and he missed as well. For a few minutes this went on, until we finally agreed that we couldn’t shoot accurately with the pumpkins on and removed them in favor of helmets.

Caution seized me, and I focused on the tower, taking aim and shooting once more. This time, the arrow struck home, and with a soft boom, the tower was disabled.

Tomahawk and I split up to head for other towers, eyes raking the sky. I swerved around an enderman and spun to shoot the dragon away before taking off once more, pinning my eyes to an area just above the heads of the endermen so that I could see where I was going. A cry sounded behind me, and I whirled around to see Dul swinging her sword through the body of an enderman, causing its death. She was gripping her left wrist, wincing. Before I could start towards her, I felt something sharp rake my side, and I growled in pain, turning once more. In my haste, I had laid eyes on an enderman, and he loomed over me, jaws snapping. I ducked under his arms, fluidly pulling my sword from its sheath at the same time and stabbing it in the back. It dissolved behind me, and I hurried to Dul as fast as my injury would allow me.

“You okay?” I questioned breathlessly, staring at her to avoid the gazes of the endermen.

“I’m alright. You’re worse,” she pointed out, flexing her wrist. “It only took half a heart from me. You must have lost at least three.”

I shrugged, now examining the towers again. The distant explosions continued, and I counted them carefully. They were all destroyed. 

With a nod at Dul, I raced across the island, feet clanking against the rough endstone. Spotting the dragon in the sky, I stopped and let an arrow fly. It hit the dragon in the side, and it grunted as the damage was done. All around me, arrows flew, and I dodged endermen quickly to get a better shot. Soon enough, he was one shot away from defeat, and determination seized me. We can win this.

The dragon dived once more, heading towards a figure about 20 blocks away: TYBZI, his back turned as he battled two endermen.

I didn’t think. Rationality and logic escaped me, and caution abandoned me in that moment. I dived forward, throwing myself between the dragon and TYBZI, thrusting my blade between the dragon’s eyes just as it rammed into me.

It howled and reared back, but the damage was done. Searing, burning pain arched through my body, destroying my nerves one by one, and I screamed, blinded by the purple rays of light that escaped the dying dragon as well as the unyielding torment flooding through me. I felt myself flying backwards through the air, and heard voices screeching my name, but my mind wasn’t working properly. Dizziness began to take hold, and I couldn’t comprehend my surroundings anymore.

My back slammed into solid obsidian, and the pain reached its peak, shattering every last bit of control in me. My voice was cut off, my muscles unmoving. Please, I begged. Make it stop! End this torture!

My pleas were answered, and I just had time to think let them make it out okay and good luck, you guys before the blackness grasped me in its claws, and everything was gone.

I cried writing this, not gonna lie.

You all hate me now.

EDIT: For all of you in the comments saying you're confused, Grape lost all his hearts. He's dead, not unconscious, and he's not coming back. Okay? 

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

What are you going to be for Halloween? I'm probably going to be Annabeth from Percy Jackson.

Vote and comment for more! Until next time!

~Cherry