11

I stared at the word inscribed on the front of the envelope in thick black ink.

'Bailey'

"I'll leave you to read it. Talk to you later, okay, li?" Chris rose from his original position and strode toward the door.

I glanced up for a second to watch him leave, then fixed my eyes upon the letter in my quivering hands.

'Jamie, why? Haven't I done enough to apologize? Didn't I try my best?'

It was weighing me down, 'Why write me a letter? To tell me how bad I am?'

I shook the persistent thoughts away. 

I didn't have to read it, after all, I know she'd have nothing good to say. 

My hands placed the letter in the drawer of the mahogany table next to my bed.

Despite Chris' adamancy to make me feel better; I know that I went wrong somewhere, I couldn't keep pretending that and my so-called friend, Rachel, was the only offender.

'We pushed her onto that roof.'

I wasn't an angel, some sort of perfect girl. Far from it.

***

"Where's-" Luna began only to be cut off by Abbie.

"Wheelchair isn't here." Abbie groaned, Luna snapped her head towards her.

"She doesn't like that name, Ab." Lance stared her down, before taking a seat on the couch opposite them.

He hung his head, questioning in a dejected tone, "Do you think she's mad at me?" 

Luna sat next to him, "Bailey is your friend Lance, why else would she have helped you when you were upset ?" She placed a hand on his shoulder.

"She keeps avoiding me." Lance leaned back into the couch, furrowing his eyebrows together, "I saw her earlier in the hallway and she wouldn't even look at me, she just left."

"Wheelchair-" Abbie corrected herself, "Bailey, probably didn't see you, don't overthink it."

Abbie knew this wasn't true, no matter how much she teased Bailey. She'd always acknowledged her presence, even if it was to make a joke.

She rose out of her seat and ambled away, "I'm going to go have a nap."

***

After contemplating it for a while, Abbie was stood outside Bailey's room.

Even though originally, she had planned to ignore the feeling to help, she'd noticed Bailey heading toward her room and couldn't help but follow.

*

There was a knock at the door, most likely a nurse. 

I sighed, "Y-you can c-come in." 

"Um, hi, Bailey." Abbie closed the door behind her.

"Oh wow, you d-didn't call m-me 'wheelchair'" 

She shook her head.

"Look, I'm n-not in the mood to j-joke around w-with you, Abbie, okay?" 

Abbie stopped me, "I'm not here to joke around. I just wanted to check on you."

She looked at the shattered glass vase on the ground and soon realized there were things from the desk everywhere on the ground.

"Did you-"

"No." I stared at her, "I'm f-fine, Abbie. You c-can leave n-now." I moved towards the door to open it for her.

"Lance thinks you hate him." I snapped my head towards her.

"Why would lance-"

My thoughts were interrupted.

"Because you've been avoiding him." Abbie sat on the edge on my bed

I softened my face, "I d-didn't r-realise that he would think t-that."

"He does." She smirked, "So what's up, Smiley."

My tone became harsh, "Don't call me that ever again, Abbie"

I held my gaze on her.