Humble Abode

Changing into a pair of old, but clean tee shirt and jeans, she went downstairs. They were all sitting in the drawing-room, chatting and laughing. She paused at the top of the stairs for a moment, letting the scene play out. In her mind's eye, she pictured another family – mother, father and daughter, living on the mountainside. There were no luxuries like here, but there were laughter and song. She blinked and the vision passed.

Mr Kamble said, "Come, come, girl. We have things to talk about."

They spoke till almost dinner time. She told them her story in brief, up to the point she was caught outside the restaurant by the watchman. Then they told her what her duties in the house were to be. In exchange for food, clothes and a room, she was to be a full-time companion for Kusum. The latter had been unwell for most of her childhood, and as a result, was quite lonely. Inaya would play with her, tidy up her room and do some other odd jobs around the house. It all seemed simple enough. There was something on the tip of her tongue, but she bit it back. She had wanted to ask about studying but felt that it might be taking too much advantage of their kindness. For now, she shelved the matter away.

When the family was having dinner, she was given hers in the kitchen by Mala. The old maid and the young girl sat on a low bench and ate. It was far better than the food at the restaurant. Inaya decided that she would have to get into Mala's good books, for she was the one who had cooked the food. Half an hour later, Kusum popped her head in the kitchen and said, "You can clear the table away, she can help you. Mala please show Inaya her room afterwards. And see to it that she has everything she needs." Mala nodded.

Turning to Inaya, she added, "Kalyani has already gone to bed, but you can meet her tomorrow and get to know each other better. You girls are going to be good friends, I have a feeling." And with a smile, she left.

The two were left alone once again in silence. Mala shuffled out, and Inaya followed her to a room towards the back of the house on the ground floor. There were two small rooms there, one was obviously Mala's and the other was had been prepared for Inaya.

"Everything is in here, but tell me tomorrow if you need something more," said Mala and turned to go. Inaya caught her hand, "Thank you. I am grateful for everything."

Mala snorted, but ruffled her hair and headed toward her own room. "Wake up at six tomorrow, don't be late," she said, closing the door.

Inaya let out a squeal as soon as she closed the door to her own bedroom. It had two big windows with mint green curtains fluttering with the wind. A single bed with an old cotton sheet, a pillow and a blanket were in one corner. There was a small steel cupboard right next to the bathroom door.