A friend in need (6)

Komal squinted her eyes from the sight. She took a step backwards as he repeated his actions again and again until the bleeding stopped.

His eyes lost their light and he fainted.

Komal rushed to him and helped him up. Her teacher said that their religion forbid that a boy and a girl touch without any close relation between them but she ticked this situation as an exception and put his hand over her shoulder.

Struggling to catch her breath, komal dragged the man to her secret cave in the Forest.

Unable to make any human friends, she spent alot of her time there. Komal slowly brought many supplies from the house like blankets, cloth medicine herbs and dry fruits.

She heaved a sigh of relief when she reached the place and lowerd herseld to place him on the small straw mat she made with her mother.

Unfortunately, he was too heavy and she fell with him flat on her, crushing her small body.

"Get...off...me!..." She gasped trying to crawl from under him but to no able. Finally komal gave up and laid breathing and sweating.

'I should've left him there'

Somehow komal managed to roll him over. She kneeled next to him and studied his face. He had an unusual looking birthmark on his earlobe.

The sun was begging to set. Golden rays of the orange sun started to strink and komal decided it was time to go home. The man showed no signs of waking up.

"Chripy..." She called out to one of the birds pecking the ground, and dug her hand into one of her dress pockets pulling out the peice of bread she hid from earlier.

Like a wave, all the birds crowded around her. "Please take care of this man. Dont let him leave until i return"

The birds whistled in union.

Feeling assured, komal left the stranger with her birds

6