Conversation continued, and right at that moment, his phone vibrated for the umpteenth time in his pocket, and he couldn’t resist the temptation to check why it had been buzzing incessantly for the past few minutes. Before he could pull up the notification bar however, Kunle was already reprimanding his apparent nonchalance for the conversation, going on, and the discourtesy his action depicted. It didn’t make sense, being hassled by the man when his participation wasn’t cherished in the first place.

“If you don’t care enough to participate in the conversation, the least you could do is not ignore us and actually act like you’re interested in what we’re saying, instead of staring at your phone.” Kunle was saying. “We haven’t had dinner like a family in about a year, and you can’t put away the phone you’ve had the luxury of operating, for like your whole life? If only I hadn’t dismissed your mom’s ‘no phone at the table’ rule, when you were teenagers—you wouldn’t have turned out like this after she fell sick.”

Lekan wasn’t stunned by the man’s ability to blow things out of proportion, by tracing the fault of his current action to decades back. He was quite used to it, but that didn’t mean he would remain mute and let himself be torn apart with criticism. After sliding a morsel of pounded yam into his mouth, he swallowed whole heartedly and then replied.

“Come on, Dad. No hard feelings, my phone has been buzzing nonstop and I just had to check if there was an emergency or something. Plus, I don’t know if you’ve forgotten, but unlike everyone else on this table, I’m not married and so I have no worthwhile contribution to make to this conversation, that’s about honeymoons, married life and what’s not.”

Darasimi who was dabbing at her wet rinsed hands, with a napkin, replied him and not Kunle who was still eating. “More reason for you to pay attention and listen to what we’re saying, since you would be tying the knot soon and settling down.”

Of course, his mom was still of the notion that he had plans to get married and settle down like every other average man, which wasn’t the case. But how did one tell their mom that they didn’t treasure such future and they’d be better off single all their life, whilst sampling all sorts of delicacies along the line? He didn’t need to anyway, since his dad’s resulting laughter was about to clarify that fact. He thought he and the man had made inroads into a better relationship, as a result of their genial work relationship, but he was indeed wrong, because the man didn’t seem to care for all of that.

“I for one can’t look forward to the time, where Lekan would consider that.” Kunle said finally, taking a sip from his glass of water. “About a week ago, I suggested that he considered getting married to Naade, his business partner but he refused and said if he’s going to get married, he’s going to do it because he wants to and is compelled to. That is, when what he feels for a woman is strong and has a life span that’s greater than a day. So you can see why I wouldn’t look forward to such time? I mean, rapture is surer to come before it.”

Darasimi as expected, flashed a look of scorn in the direction of her husband while Tiolu on the other hand, looked dumbfounded, obviously curious of the identity of the woman in the reference.

“Which Naade is that? Is it the same Naade Adeleke, that I know? The daughter of dad’s friend?” Tiolu asked, as expected.

“Yup, she is the one.” Darasimi answered on behalf of her husband. She was now busy flossing her teeth and flushing out chunks of meat, that had gotten itself lodged in between her teeth. “I met her at the office, on the day Lekan resumed his work properly. Although I wouldn’t say there was love sparks exploding between them, but Lekan appears to be taken by her, judging by the way he looks at her, at least. He might indeed feel something for her, but prompting marriage from that stance is still overstepping.” The woman finished, criticizing her husband’s action in her last sentence.