9. Quest Of Rogues

The eternal quest of the individual human being, is to shatter his loneliness.” – Norman Cousins.

•••

“And this would be your office.”

Kunle declared to Lekan, as they stepped through the archway and into the room. A pleasant fragrance—that smelt like a blend of tuberose and honeysuckle—and a picturesque interior greeted him.

The room was intricately furnished with glass paneled furniture, and the blue harlequin ceiling with striped, metallic painting was layered in waves, and appeared like rippling waves of water, casting a mist over the room as if it were an aquarium. The wall was sponged in white velvet paint, with sparse even distribution of orange—which was also a recurring color from the Carrara marble top center table, to the wicker chairs by it sides in the receptive segment and the humongous, glass, detachable desk.

An ideal, contemporary office.

“Wow, this is…something.” Lekan said in awe, as he strode forward—his hands dipped into his pants pocket. He halted at the floor-to-ceiling window, and peeked out to the world outside. The exhilarating view made him feel like some god, peering down at earthlings from his glorified throne.

Whirling around, he ascended up the short stairwell to his desk and ran his hands through its smooth, acrylic coated surface before sinking down onto his seat. As it was with every other executive office in the building, the company’s logo was engraved in the wall behind his chair. Kunle on the other hand, stood static behind the center table—watching him, take everything in with a restive look on his face.

Rising to his feet, he cleared his throat and descended down onto level ground with Kunle. “Thanks Dad. This is just perfect.”

Kunle’s scowl didn’t disappear, and his brow twitched a bit as if he expected a more elaborate display of gratitude. “We had to refurbish the entire room, so yeah it is perfect. Anyway, I’d give you some space to take in the entire place in, and also take a stroll around the compound if you want. I’d be back to answer any questions you might have and work place ethics…”

Work place ethics? What the hell had he been reciting the other day at the mansion then?

“…and other miscellaneous stuff. See you in a bit.” Kunle rounded up, before turning around and letting himself out of the office.

Lekan returned back to his desk, and relaxed into his seat again. As his eyes roamed the office further, and took in other underlying details—he couldn’t help the smile that broke over his face, upon the realization of the moment’s significance.

Here he was, on his second official day as heir of the company—that he had avowed in the past, to sever all ties with and have nothing to do with. He liked to see himself in an unamenable capacity such that if he set his mind to do something, his decision couldn’t be swayed or influenced otherwise. Yet here he was, going back on his word. His thoughts were interrupted, the moment the door creaked open. Curiosity creased his brows together, as he wondered why Kunle was back early but the face that his gaze landed on wasn’t Kunle.

It was Naade’s.

“Hey, Lekan.” She was wearing her trademark, exuberant smile that carried the power of a thousand exploding suns and seemed inexpugnable. Her luscious body was clad in a yellow, off-shoulder chiffon dress with flowing ribbons strewn to its chest, and net sheath material by its lower region so that it bared her full hips, and the beginnings of her fleshy thighs. Her brown Chanel classic flap bag, matched her brown strapped, peep-toe wedges and her makeup was minimal but succinct.