2. Love Bay

To get the full value of joy, you must have someone to divide it with.” – Mark Twain.

•••

“Anjola, I want you to meet Adebola Samson.” Tiolu gestured for the umpteenth time, to another eligible bachelor in their midst. Anjola was beginning to think that her best friend had at some point—put up a billboard advert, broadcasting the fact that she was single, for bachelors to rally round. That’d explain the large plethora of men she had been introduced to, in the evening on the cruise ferry. It wasn’t that said men weren’t of high caliber or didn’t have it going for them in the looks department, she just wasn’t intrigued by many. They all seemed too prim and proper, to be anything fun or thrilling. Not that she wanted to surf wild waves of sensual pleasures, but she didn’t think the men that had been introduced to her all day—had anything much to their exterior.

“It’s my pleasure,” Samson extended his hand, a polite smile on his face and Anjola had no choice than to return the courtesy. Just like the rest, he was pleasing to the eye. He had on a pale green safari blazer, on grey wool khakis and black shiny Moccasins. He was on a skin cut, and it made his well groomed beard more prominent although Anjola thought it was overkill, as the hair was quite voluminous. “I’ve heard a lot about you, from Tiolu.”

“Oh, really.” Anjola furrowed her brow, turning to her left to give her friend a desultory look, before turning back to face Samson. “What exactly have you heard, about me?” She queried, with a wicked smile glowing in her eyes.

The wedding reception had ended about three hours ago, and so they moved to the final phase of celebrations of the day, which was a cruise ride on a large ferry across the lagoon on the island. Unlike the receptions, the ferry ride was exclusive for only the couple, their friends and close-friends-of-friends. In addition to that, adults weren’t allowed access on the ride because the couple wanted only young adults, that wouldn’t perceive whatever transpired from a conservative standpoint. If adults were around, the younglings would refrain from indulging in several pleasures that the adults would deem sinful. And so to take said constrain out of the equation, the adults were denied access and told to go home.

The ferry they were on was a 190m Classic Cruise ship that was three tiered, with domes spawning the entire ship, like a massive gladiator arena. The interior was modern and exquisite, consisting of lush floral, studded wallpapers and marble tiles, with the color white dominating the color scheme. A lot of people on board wore attires with bright, resplendent colors which made them look regal, and so coupled with the opulent design of the ship—made it seemed like they were some Atlantean vessel, washed up on shore and travelling back to their home.

People were on all floors of the ship, chatting and engaging in a variety of party oriented activities. Anjola was on the very top of course, alongside the most dignified personas on board that was mostly close friends and family relatives of the couple.

Although, everyone on board would occasionally ascend to the top floor, so they could extend their greetings and pay their respects to the couple, before retreating to their respective social peers. And so it irked Anjola to be introduced to so many men, in so short a time. She knew if she tried to make a run for it to another floor, she’d most likely be accosted by some man she had been introduced to before earlier on. The safest place, was still by Tiolu’s side although she feared Dayo was going to pull his wife away, to his side soon.

“Um, well I uh…” Her mind returned back to the present, where Samson was apparently struggling to provide an answer to her question, just as she had predicted. He had only led with the cliché line, of Tiolu relaying information about her to him when such didn’t exactly happen. She had intentionally put him in a tight spot that he couldn’t get out of, so he would have no choice than to back out. “Well, you know that you guys are best friends, and you hang out a lot and all.”