deals off

"Morning Zak-y." You teased once he opened his door. "So what is up with you lately? These mysterious texts are getting confusing." You asked as you walked in.

"Well- I- Uh-" He stuttered.

You were getting more confused by the second and turned around to just look at him for a bit.

"You got a new haircut." You said, trying to break the awkward tension.

"Yeah I wanted to clean up a bit." He rubbed the back of his head avoiding eye contact with you. "Anyway. Not the reason I called you over here." He suddenly said.

You went to sit down on the couch and he came to sit beside you.

"We've known each other for a while now and I always knew there was something between us. When I thought you were with Alex it confirmed that everything I felt about you was real, and when you told me that the relationship was fake I had never felt so relieved in my entire life."

Your heart began beating faster and faster and you felt your cheeks begin to burn up.

"And I wanted to ask if you ever felt the same way."

You were making direct eye contact with him and you didn't know how to answer. Of course you used to have feelings for him. For a long time, he was the only person who cared about you. So of course you would grow attachments to the only person in your life.

If he asked you this two months ago you would've said yes in a heartbeat. But now you were conflicted.

"(Y/N) are you okay?" Zak asked, his deep brown eyes were still gazing at you.

"I can't give you an answer right now. I'm so sorry Zak." You began to tear up and ran out of his house. You hailed the first taxi you saw and got inside before Zak had time to follow you onto the street.

You quietly sobbed in the back of the taxi. You were without a doubt in love with Alex. He was you best friend who didn't feel the same way about you. Zak was your other best friend who now had feelings for you. You may have told him that the relationship was fake but you failed to mention that you wish it wasn't. Hurting Zak was the last thing you wanted to do. He was the reason why you were able to pull yourself together once your parents had kicked you out of the house. Zak had done more for you than you could've ever asked for, so how could you reject him like this? You were confused and emotionally lost and all you wanted to do was cry.

Once you had paid the taxi fare and got out of the cab, you slowly made your way up to the apartment.

"You're back quick!" Alex said the moment you opened the door. You sensed a hint of panic in his voice but you were so emotional that you weren't sure if you were overanalysing it or not. You ran to the bathroom before Alex could see you so you could clean yourself up.

Eventually you told yourself that you can't change fate and whatever happens is what's meant to be. You rolled your eyes at yourself which made you laugh, who'd have thought that you'd ever use one of those Facebook quotes shared by 40 year old moms to calm yourself down.

You wiped away your tears and smiled before you opened the door.

"Are you okay?" Alex asked, sounding visibly concerned.

"I should be asking you." You said, gesturing to his clothes that were covered in sauce.

"Yeah haha... I was trying to cook a meal for us." He tugged at his shirt to look at the complete mess he made. "But you can see how that went."

"I appreciate the effort." You smiled at him, a genuine smile this time. "You didn't have to-"

"I wanted to, and I also need to tell you something." He interrupted.

"What?"

"I want to break our deal."