Chapter Thirty Two: Sandstorm

I got my own back.❞ ㅡ Rei

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER THIRTY TWO:

SANDSTORM

                                           Sneaking into Suna was no easy task; guards stood around the entrance, protecting the village from unwelcomed strangers and limiting her options to slip inside without being seen. Sand permeated the ground, forming a thin carpet over which the village had been built a long time ago. It floated in the soft breeze of the night, as if waiting to be hold — to follow orders.

Orange eyes surveyed the shadowy wall as the two girls remained concealed in the night, far from their sensorial abilities and scope. They narrowed slightly upon the guards, whom she could not see but feel, as a deformed star expanded to provide her with the skill she needed at the moment.

Next to the rogue girl, her companion observed her closely; Kotone wondered about her approach, whether she'd succeed or be caught — that would have terrible consequences. Giving a deep sigh, Rei blinked and averted her attention to her; the remains of her bloodline faded away.

"No wonder it's the main village of the Wind Nation," she whispered, looking away as the sketch of a nostalgic smile curled on her lips. "I could feel over a hundred guards, only by the entrance. The inside is just as crowded. Even in this moonless night, any threat can be noticed."

Kotone shot her a look before shrugging. "What's your plan, then?"

Rei pursed her lips. Her fingers dug into the sandy ground, relishing in its familiar touch, before she stood from her crouching posture. Sending her a quick glance, the girl extended her arms and took a deep breath.

"I suggest you close your eyes, Kotone."

Not even a second later, wind rose from the horizon — it came to her, responding to a silent call. Engulfing the girl, Rei quickly placed her hands together and locked her eyes on the distant village. As if by choice, the wind found its target in the guards and villagers; picking up the sand by its invisible feet, it hastily flew towards them.

Kotone frowned and held her blue hair in a tight grip, still crouched as the strength of the wind threatened to send her flying. One eye cracked open and she watched as Rei stood still in front of her, orange gaze fixed on the village.

And she heard them — over the loud blows of the wind, in the distance. Their groans, their cries as sand got into their eyes and wind slashed their skin bit by bit.

Yeah, that must hurt. Sand and wind; what a powerful combination, she thought while gritting her teeth out of discomfort.

But then, the voice of a guard reached her. "Summon a shield to protect yourselves from the sandstorm!"

Covering her eyes with her hand, she squinted through the darkness and opened her mouth to warn Rei. But the girl wasn't there anymore. As the sandstorm became less ruthless, Kotone smirked and retreated to the forest opposite to the village.

Meanwhile, in Suna, a cloaked person walked the quiet streets. Thanks to the sandstorm she had created, no villagers were around to witness her actions. Rei made sure to conceal her presence, and to remain hidden in the dark alleys under a starless sky. A feeling of nostalgia formed in her heart as she walked by a familiar park, but she looked away to avoid having to deal with the reminiscence of many times when she had spent time with friends and family there.

Her skin felt prickly as she roamed the village, her attention diverted by places she used to go — it was all the same; nothing had changed. The air was still heavy, warm yet colder than during the day. The houses were round and humble, just like she remembered them, and light flickered through the windows, tracing thin paths of yellow tears on the ground below.