Chapter Thirty One: Curry and Deals

It's okay to live a life others don't understand.❞ ㅡ Kotone

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE:

CURRY AND DEALS

An hour before the clash, trees dwelled within the valley which was sunk in between the mountains that separated Konoha from the Land of Rivers. The ground was painted green with grass, and leaves swayed to the rhythm of a gentle breeze. Above that enormous forest, a blue sky held the sun in an infinite embrace; its light swept the world that spread at its feet and shed warmth to those who were lost.

An hour before hell broke loose, birds chirped below white clouds and squirrels danced on the branches of high trees. A feeling of utter peace breathed within the forest; as though a lullaby was playing in the air, bringing a sensation of contentment to those who listened to it.

But then, a battlefield replaced everything in sight.

Trees were no longer standing; most of them had been ripped from their roots and smashed into multiple pieces of wood that were now scattered all around the muddy ground. Leaden clouds stared down on the chaos, unleashing their wrath on those who stood in its middle and scaring away the few animals which had decided to stay and watch. No sight of the sun could be seen, no light warmed up the landscape they had created within minutes.

Birds had flown off in the distance, and those cheerful squirrels had retreated to hide in nooks while cowering in fear.

Rain was pouring down heavily, drenching everything it touched within seconds. However, no wind blew in the valley-it was calm.

Too calm. Like a storm taking a break, but getting ready to attack again.

"Do you usually destroy everything in sight when you're fighting?" Kotone panted out, smirking ever so slightly as she noticed the exhaustion coming off in waves from her opponent.

Such power, she thought while surveying her surroundings. If only she could control it...

"Only when provoked," Rei admitted. She felt calmer now; letting out her emotions without any restrains had turned out to be what she needed - she was back in place.

After days of living in darkness, her mind was awake - clear, relaxed - again. It did not go unnoticed by Kotone, who watched in silent how she composed herself. Bruises were decorating their skins, but they were superficial. No real damage had been delivered, if one didn't take the forest into consideration.

Her orange eyes narrowed in confusion when Kotone held up her hands and smiled sheepishly. "Let's call it a day, shall we?"

Taken aback by the sudden loss of interest in fighting her, Rei blinked in surprise.

"Oh, don't think I'm admitting defeat," Kotone was quick to add, frowning. "I would kick your ass... but I can't keep fighting on an empty stomach."

Rei couldn't help but sweatdrop, feeling at a total loss of words. Quickly recovering from her shock, though, she crossed her arms over her chest and arched an eyebrow. "Are you going to tell me who you are, now that you're satisfied?"

A grin crept to her lips as Kotone stretched her sore muscles. "I am indeed very pleased, Rei. So yes, I will tell you," she granted, "after my stomach is just as satisfied."