Chapter Twenty Six: Resolution

The ones who aren't able to acknowledge their true selves are bound to fail.❞ ㅡ Itachi Uchiha

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX:

RESOLUTION

                               The first rays of the sun grazed the sky as it gradually made its way back into the world after a peaceful night. The streets were quiet, but they would become busy in no time; what with people getting ready to start their days.

He was sitting on the roof of a house like any other, enjoying the silence that was about to break. His eyes were bright, fixed on the moon that was slowly fading into the sunlight. His mind, however, was lost in time.

She turned her head to gaze at him with those enigmatic, orange eyes of hers. And her lips curved into a barely-noticeable smile.

"He is precious to me."

Gaara blinked the memory away, still baffled and confused. He kept going back to that moment, if only to revive the feeling those simple yet powerful words had brought to his heart. For the first time in very long, he felt warm — his existence was precious to someone.

And then she broke down; fell to her knees and let out a scream so full of despair and agony his blood ran cold.

His eyes closed, and as the sun brought life to the village, the boy let sand wrap its arms around him. Then, he was gone.

Some buildings away, on a large balcony, three silhouettes could be seen. They were still, serious expressions on their faces as they faced one another. A tense silence had crashed upon them, one that reflected how disgruntled they felt about the situation they had been pushed into.

An irritated sound broke it, as Temari clicked her tongue loudly. Her green eyes sent a glance his way, causing him to furrow his eyebrows.

"Kakashi," she began, "as you may be aware of; we are very busy right now. Let's stop standing here like idiots and get to the reason of this meeting. I recall you saying it was urgent."

Her voice was like a knife, sharp and cold — it was evident she had no patience whatsoever for... well, for anything. The man could see she was on edge, and not without a motive: the Kazekage had been murdered, which had put them in such difficult situation they couldn't even mourn his death.

"I was hoping your brother would join us," he hummed. "I believe he has information no one else has." Except for Naruto, he mentally added, but he is too stubborn and won't talk.

Kankurõ crossed his arms and snorted, amused. "He isn't going to show up. Hasn't talked to anyone since we arrived."

Just apologised and left. Temari still had trouble assimilating it.

Kakashi hummed, deep in thought, before a smile formed underneath his mask.

"That's unfortunate," was all he said.

A sigh escaped her nose.

"Just get to the damn point, Kakashi. What is going on with Rei?"

His face turned serious, and then he revealed what little he knew about her: her roots, her real name. He told them about her clan — about the things that were always rumoured, but never fully proven.