Climbing Through Vents and Punching Walls as a Coping Mechanism

Start from the beginning

Caleb cocked an eyebrow and pointed at me. "You gave her advice to do this? Wow."

I already knew what they were talking about, but I just needed clarification. "What exactly are you guys discussing?" I tried to sound as nonchalant as possible.

Hazel smiled and punched my arm. "Thanks to you, I've decided to go for it." She turned to Caleb. "Caleb, you already know what I'm going to ask but uh, will you go out with me? Or be my boyfriend? I mean both. Cause they're the same thing. I'm not really good at this. I've never-"

"I think he gets it." I gave her a fake small smile. I couldn't make my eyes look less sad and droopy, though. "So what'll it be then, Caleb? Hm?" I asked him with malice lacing my voice.

He put his hands in his pockets and smiled. "Yeah, of course."

They smiled at each other sweetly and I could feel the tension in all of my bones.

"Well uh, I should probably get going. Gotta go meet up with my friends. Later." I gave a weak wave without looking and sped out of the library before they could say anything.

Once I was out of the library, I raced to the back of the school and went outside. I could feel the still, cold air piercing my skin and the snow made my legs burn. I knew my cheeks and nose were a striking red.

I tried to keep my breathing at a steady pace, but my heart was beating too fast for my own good and my lungs tried to match that rhythm. My mind started going in circles and my eyes began blurring out of focus. I quickly realized it was because my eyes were glistening with threatening tears. I shouldn't have been getting all teary-eyed over this, but for some reason I still was.

The girl I was in love with was with somebody else.

Holy fuck. I was in love with her.

But she didn't reciprocate those feelings.

Everything started clashing together and next thing I knew, my fist was clashing with the brick wall in front of me. I instantly regretted it as the pain shot up through my arm.

I knew I didn't break anything, but it still hurt like a bitch. Blood and ice stuck to my hand and the brick wall.

I put my back against the wall and slid down to the ground. I could feel the ice wetting my clothes. I felt absolutely pathetic. I was just an angsty teenage boy going through heartbreak and punching walls like a dumbass over it.

After about ten minutes, I stood up, and hopped the fence to leave school.

~~~~~~~

When I walked into my house and dropped my backpack on the floor, I knew nobody was home because of how quiet it was. I trudged up to the bathroom and took out the first aid kit. I sat on the toilet to work on myself when I remembered something.

That time when I babysat Hazel's brothers and she drew all over my face with markers, so I sat on the toilet as she washed it off for me.

I pushed the thought away and washed my bruised and bloody hand. Once I finished bandaging it, I went to my room.

I remembered something someone had told me earlier that day. Sheyla said to text her, so I did.

Hey Sheyla. Thought about what you said earlier, and yeah I'd be willing to try again. I left school, you wanna meet me at Sally's in half an hour?

I shut off my phone after sending it and flopped backwards on my bed. My eyes were closed for all of five seconds before I got a reply.

See you there in fifteen. ;) <3

Alright, then. I guess I was going earlier than I thought.

~~~~~~~

I walked into Sally's and found Sheyla already there. She waved her hand to call me over to the booth she was in.

"Heyyyy, Asher." She said as I slid next to her.

"Hey, Sheyla. How's it going?" I tapped on the table and stared at the starter chips and salsa.

"I was stressing because I'm supposed to be taking a math test right now and-"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Is this a bad time?" I winced a bit.

"Nah, now I get to push it to another day. Anyways, I got really excited when you called me here! I knew you'd end up wanting me back. It was a matter of time." She said, adjusting her posture.

"Heh, yeah. So, how about it? You wanna go out? Be my girlfriend? You know." I shut my eyes and mentally facepalmed.

"Obviously. Otherwise I wouldn't have come. Or maybe I would have. I really didn't wanna take that Spanish test."

"I thought it was math." I said in confusion.

"Yeah, that one, too." She reached her hand over and put it on top of my bandaged one. I don't think she noticed it was bandaged. "This is gonna be great."

I laughed without a real trace of joy. "Yeah, I'm sure it will be."

A/N: Heyyyyy guys! What's up? I know this chapter took extra long to write but it's pretty long so hopefully that makes up for it. I swear these chapters are always emotional rollercoasters! One second Asher is climbing through a vent and then he hurts his hand and now Ashzel/Hasher are with other people?? How badly do you think this one's gonna turn out? Or do you like what's happening right now? I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Make sure to follow for notifications and announcements! Please keep reading and vote! Thank you!! By my lovelies!!!❤❤❤

---Your Smøl Bean, Gen