Chapter Two

Neji walked into the training grounds in a much better mood than average. There were less rude comments to Lee, eye rolls to Gai, and grunts to TenTen. He didn't complain about their laps around the village, or the mission like he normally would.

Neji passed their house once more on his way home. His heart races when he sees them at their mailbox, looking in confusion at the letter. He forces himself to look blankly ahead as he passes. He feels their eye, which was glancing around like they might find the letter's sender, consider him for a moment. Neji takes a breath as he turns the corner, having been holding it for some reason. He contemplates using his eyes, staring in the direction they would be as he did so. He decided to leave his Byakugan off. They were a skilled jonin, and would notice his chakra flaring. Neji, a damper in his mood because he couldn't see them open it, continues home with a frown

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kakashi Hatake was not a very popular man. Well, he was among women, but that's beside the point. He didn't have many friends, and the ones that do would never need to write him.

And yet, here he was, holding an envelope that had his name written across the front with care. It was written in a left handed, slanted scrawl. His address, or the sender's, wasn't on it; just his name. It must have been delivered by hand. Kakashi takes the letter inside, where he can read it in peace with his mask down. He sits at his normally unused kitchen table and breaks the seal of the envelope, removing the letter and unfolding it.

He sweat drops. At least a fourth of the page was scribbled out. Then Kakashi snorts at the first line. He finds himself humming the tune to Sincerely Me as he continues reading. He knew who this was, though he hadn't seen Nishi since they were kids. Kakashi manages to hunt down a sheet of paper and an envelope. It was only after sealing the letter that he realised he had no way to send it to him. He shakes his head with a fond smile. That's just like Nishi.

Meanwhile, a Hyuga facepalms. Neji knew he was forgetting something! He forgot to think of a way for Kakashi to get letters back to him! Stupid! He would just have to send another one! He bolts for the compound as quick as he can while still looking relaxed and uncaring.

Neji was almost caught dropping off a second letter the next morning. It was the most terrifying thing to ever happen to him. He almost died no joke. Satan was grasping at the wisps of his soul. He was about to be yeeted to hell like the sinner he is.

Oh well. Time to go buy his muffin!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kakashi may just be paranoid, but he swears that Hyuga kid was just messing with his mailbox. There's no way Nishi managed to rope them into this. Actually, he might have. That boy walks by his house every morning. It wouldn't be hard for him to drop an envelope off or grab one on his way. Kakashi would have to keep an eye out. He retrieves his new letter and sits down to read it.

I am sooooooo stupid! I didn't even tell you how to mail me back!! Seriously, that was pretty dumb, even for me. Totally slipped my mind. Just yeet your responses into ye' ole mailbox on Wednesdays; my dood will pick it up. You will be contacted soon lololol. Deuces. ~N

Kakashi wasted no time (technically he ate first) "yeeting" his letter into the mailbox. It was Wednesday, after all.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Yeet boys, I FLUFFIN DID IT!! I got in touch with Kakashi. This is it chief. I'll take those chicken strips now. I wrote him not one, not three, but TWO letters. Lolol Jk. The second one was like, 12 words, but I digress. I wrote him and that's progress. Wish I could have seen him read it though. Wish I could really talk to him, actually.

In other news, I managed to pull off another prank. It was perfect, though I didn't get to actually see it. Huge bummer. They didn't blame that Naruto kid this time!

And shit, Kakashi grew up to be hot tho. Like, damn. Is he the sun or am I just fucked up? Don't answer that.

Actually, now that I think about it, Kakashi kinda used to act like that Sasuke kid. And Sasuke's pink haired fan girl kinda acts like Rin. Okay.. Maybe not. Sakura is too brash... From what I've seen. Rin was kind. I have a feeling the Hokage will remake team seven for the third time. So that means... Sasuke in the place of Kakashi, Sakura in place of Rin, and Naruto acts a lot like Obito. Really though. Naruto wants to be hokage too, from what I've heard. And they both weird goggles, coincidentally. That reminds me. Obito gave me a pair of his goggles back in my old village.. I wonder if my junk stash is still there. Maybe I can send myself on a mission to find it... That would be interesting.

Welp, I'm getting hungry. And I have training with my uncle soon. Maybe I'll go easy on sweet Hinata today.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Neji's feelings towards Hinata were, pretty complicated. She was like a shy jelly bean. But at the same time she was so timid it infuriated him. Half the time he wanted to yeet her off a cliff.

Thought she was definitely the best person in this compound. By far. Hanabi could die for all Neji cared (Hanabi was Hinata's little sister). If it came down to it, Neji thinks he might take the jutsu that killed him to the chest all over again for Hina.

Neji remembered spending time with the young heiress before his father was killed. She used to braid daisies into his hair, much to his annoyance. Though he looked good, honestly. Course, back when his father was alive Neji had yet to realise he didn't want to lose anyone. That's why he was doing his best to get stronger. And why he never lets her win. He had to know she can take care of herself. And that meant he was going to be hard on her until she beat him.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

This time, Neji uses his Byakugan to scan Kakashi's house before he approached it. He retrieves the letter and tucks it safely away into his pocket.
He nearly chokes on his muffin when he gets to the training grounds. Well, now he knew why he wasnt home, because Kakashi was {here.} Neji manages to surpress his gay panic before his team saw him.
Lee runs over and says something about Youth like always.. And Tenten gets him to calm down. This time their laps around the village was more tense, to the Hyuga at least. Kakashi and Gai were rivals, and were doing some kind of competition. It was a bit endearing, but also nerve racking every time the two pass him in his jog. He kept thinking that he'd trip. Or maybe drop the letter right in front of them and out himself.
Jesus, Kakashi stressed him out! He just hoped he never ended up on a collab mission with his team. Though he doubted it. Gai and Kakashi didn't seem to work together well. Plus Kakashi needed a genin team. And he's failed everyone he had so far, so Neji doubted he'd have one anytime soon.