Dueling Personalities

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"My husband,"

"Lady, your husband can't help us! You want to live, stop talking and start listening!"

"Howard is the president, if we can tell him about-"

"He's dead." Flat, hard, Rhaner snapped at her. "He can't help anybody."

It stopped her, wide blue eyes staring at him in disbelief. Whatever reaction he thought he would get, nothing came. Vera, or the personality of her, stood frozen, staring at him. Gentling his tone slightly, Greer took a step toward her.

"Did you hear me?"

"Yes," it came out a hushed whisper, soft blue eyes still focused on him. "Howard is dead."

"Yes."

"Did...did she kill him?"

"She?" Rhaner felt the skin behind his ears tighten as the muscles in his jaw ticked. "Who?"

"The android." Suddenly, Vera's eyes were very bright, but he wasn't sure of the motive behind them. "The android Lewis built. Did she kill Howard?"

"Maybe." Frowning just a little, he leaned against the ATV door, suddenly tired. "What do you know about her, and who's Lewis?"

"Dr. Lewis Dwighthall. He's one of the leading scientists in android technology, design, and production."

"He built the Echo class?"

"Just a prototype," suddenly she stopped talking, staring at him with growing suspicion. "Just who are you anyway? What am I doing here?"

"Vera, look, you're not going to believe the truth, it's hard enough even for me to really believe. Just....do me a small favor. Don't jump to conclusions, and try to trust me."

"Trust you." Her brows drew together in a scowl. "Get Lewis on the phone, let me talk to him, and then, perhaps, we'll discuss trust- what is your name?"

"Greer Rhaner."

"Rhaner," her lips curled just a little. "That's not a name I've heard before. Where are you from?"

"It doesn't matter."

"How do I know you're not with those people you claim are trying to kill us? You could be in on it!" Backing away, her eyes darted around the garage as if seeking escape. "I don't trust you!"

"Vera-"

"Stay away from me!" With a scream, she lunged for the door leading into the house. Anticipating the move, Rhaner beat her there, grabbing the frantic woman by the shoulders.

"Let me go!" Struggling, she flailed wildly, catching him across the face. Hard nails sliced through skin, blood instantly dripping down his chin. Thrusting her other hand out, it slammed into his chest with enough force to send him flying into the steel body of the ATV. With a groan, Rhaner collapsed on the floor, head buzzing.

"Greer," The smooth, honey sound made him took up, finding Echo standing with her palm out, fingers splayed from when she'd hit him. Vibrant blue eyes stared at him curiously. "What happened?"

"You kissed me, and we argued," grunting softly, he sat up, feeling a heated spike of pain through his chest. "I think you bruised my rib."

"I do not understand." Coming to his side, she gently assisted Rhaner to his feet. "I have no memory of an argument."

"That's probably because Vera was the one arguing."

Echo paused, one of her brows slightly lower than the other. Blue eyes scanning him she went very still, features blank.