It was the normal, regular routine of every independent person with a stable job, that the comfort of their life thrived on, He wouldn’t happen to know anything about that, because he never had to take his work seriously by rising up early, and following up with rapid responses to the requests of clientele. The job was almost like a lie, a front to justify his lavish, prolifigate life so it didn’t attract scorn and criticism from folks around, when they began to wonder the source of the funds, he lavished.

Sultan’s point was pixel clear now with a level of realism, that it could be likened to virtual reality. Even a fool would see the cogent reason behind it. He didn’t know if he was done with his current, tent pole-esque thrilling life but he wanted to make an effort to build a foundation that would grant him more stakes in calling the shots of his own fate. Retrieving his phone from the nightstand, he dialed the line of Kunle and waited. It had been three days, since he had stormed out of the mansion and although it wasn’t so long a time frame—he still couldn’t help but think if the old man had found a replacement for him.

“Lekan?” The neutral, bland coated voice knocked him off guard and he rose to his feet, as if to rise to the occasion.

“Hey, Dad.” His throat bobbed. “What’s up?”

“Time. Time is up, son.” The man replied in an ominous tone, that made Lekan quiver in fear. What the hell did he mean by that? Was it too late for a recompense act? “That’s what I always told myself, when I started out many, many years back.

“Once you begin to have the illusion that you have a lot of time, you’d be stagnant, complacent and would definitely procrastinate a lot. But once you believe that there is truly no time and that it’s completely gone? You’d give it your all, and be willing to die in the act. If you tell a lie, so frequently there would come a point that you’d believe its true. That’s the working principle of that fact. Thought I should share with you.”

Lekan still didn’t know the motive of the man’s parable speech. “Share with me?”

“Well, since you’re on your own these days and you get totally nothing from me, the little I could do is share you a little wisdom, every now and then when you call me.” Kunle replied, and it was then Lekan heard the audible sound of a car engine, crackling. The man was obviously on his way to work already, and it came as no surprise to Lekan as it was epitomic of his perchance for punctuality. “What do you want from me?”

The hard part had come. “What you want from me. You wanted me to begin grooming as your heir and take over the company when you retire. I’m ready to accept that.”

“Really? I have to say, I don’t give you enough credit, Lekan. I knew you’d come crawling back, but I never knew it’d be so early. But then that makes sense. You’re probably broke out of your mind, and can’t afford the type of meal you usually afford. You’ve also probably been crashing at a friend’s house, and you’re sick out of your head living by the rules of someone else. This call must be expensive for you. Maybe I should end it, and call you back to save you the hassle.”

He ran his hand through his hair, and began to pace one section of the room. “What do you want me to say?”

“It’s more about what I want you to do.” Kunle replied sharply. “I don’t have time for this. If you’re ready, come by the office today or the house later in the evening and let’s discuss face to face. Until then, this call never happened and I have absolutely no idea of your change in heart. Bye bye.”

He knew trying to get back in conjunction with his dad was no small task and would demand a price, that was probably very steep but he decided it was all worth it, at the end of the day and that he would pay it. He returned to dressing himself up, and just as he tucked his feet back into his Doc Martens boots, Naade strolled into the room, in dripping, wet goodness. Her hair was tousled into a beautiful mess, and the droplets of water that drizzled off her skin, made him want to drink every last drop off her. She proceeded into her closet, and emerged a couple of minutes later in a maroon, cashmere short cocktail dress, brown strapped heeled peep-toes and a classy mustard handheld bag, looped through her right elbow.