Chapter Twenty

I am very excited for the character development to unfold. 

Diving into this world is one of my favorite things to do.

Thank you for reading ily 

Chapter Twenty  

We walk into the gas station, where an older woman sat at the front counter reading a newspaper. She glances up at us slightly, then returns her gaze to the paper, only after a slight second of comprehension did her eyes dart back up to us, and her attention was ours.

"My god." She says astounded, "You two kids are filthy." 

"We were camping." I lie, giving her my best 'everything is fine' smile.

Cousin doesn't look at her, instead he has hunched back, his eyes glued to the floor like he is back in Mr. Father's clutches and chains. He's not confident around anyone, but I felt myself warm at the thought that at least, if not anyone else, he was confident enough to stand tall towards me.

"Camping in the mud have you?" She said, a hint of disbelief in her tone.

"We prefer the ground over a tent." I run my hand down a shelf of processed sweets.

I notice her looking at Cousin, "Is everything alright with you darlin'? Your clothes are ripped, looks like you've been in the jaws of a black bear."

I move and wrap my arm around his shoulders, he doesn't push me away. "He's had a rough night, fell right out of a tree."

Her eyes widened, "What were you doing climbing a tree?"

"We wanted a nice view of the night sky." My lies were flowing out before I could even think about them. I hoped they made sense.

I was glad Cousin's clothes were baggy on him, at least the majority of his deformities were hidden. I pulled him down into one of the isles, hidden away from the old woman at the counter. I begin to grab a few water bottles and bags of dried meat.

I spot a rack of cheap backpacks hanging in the corner of the store, and take one, so at least carrying the food wouldn't be as much of a hassle during our journey across the country.

I return to the counter to pay for our items, and ask the older woman, "Is there a motel anywhere nearby?"

She looked hesitant, "We got one, but it definitely ain't near. Don't you two have a ride?"

I shake my head, "This was supposed to be a week-long trip, but I don't think I can handle another night in the dirt."

She snorted and shook her head as if to say 'kids these days', then she rung up our items, and handed them back to me. I gave her a wad of bills in return. "You know," She said, "My husband is in the back sorting through storage, he could drive you two if you'd like."

I begin to say no, but then I think about it. Not having to walk anymore would be a relief. I glance at Cousin who is still eyeing the floor like there is nothing else worth looking at. He can't hide behind his hair because I cut it, and for that, I feel worse. He's not used to being so seen, and I hate that he's uncomfortable.

"Actually," I tell the woman, deciding that I don't want to put Cousin through anymore exercise for the rest of the day, "If it's not too much to ask, a ride would be greatly appreciated."

"It's not too much at all." She claims, with a wave of her hand. She turns toward the door of the backroom, "Ron!" She shouts so loud that Cousin shrinks back even further. I don't consider what would happen if I grab his arm to steady him, I just do it.

He doesn't pull away, but he doesn't seem comforted either.

When her husband doesn't respond, she shouts again, "Ronald Davis!" After a moment of waiting, a thin, older man with a grey beard and a slightly hunched back comes waddling out from the back room.