Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

It was a big risk, but I had no other choice.   

I ran through my idea with Cousin almost a dozen times. None in which he seemed remotely interested in doing. I begged him, I even got on my knees and pleaded with him to do as I instructed.

The day went by quicker than I expected it too. One minute I was going over my plans with Cousin, and the next he and I were being called out on stage.

The crowd was cheering as I gripped Cousin's chains, him following me closely behind as we made our way over to Mr. Father. His smile was as dazzling as it was crooked. There was no man in the world that I hated more, and yet, I had to admit, he was damn brilliant when it came to putting on a show.

I glanced over at Cousin, who stood slumped behind me like a dog on a leash. I swallowed my sympathy for him, and looked forward, determined to get this over with.

Mr. Father said a few words to the crowd to hype them up. He described Cousin to be a monster, a wild beast in the form of a broken man.

Broken man was the only truthful thing he said.

Suddenly on the stage, my plan began to look more and more unrealistic. Cousin looked folded in on himself, hiding his face with his knotted black hair. I told him to attack me when I called his name and ordered him to sit. I told him to push me to the floor of the stage, pin me down, until I screamed. I told him to act wild, to show the crowd he was not to be ordered around.

I wanted him to look Mr. Father in the eyes and promise him that when he is free, he will be merciless.

Mr. Father wanted an animal, Cousin was going to have to be one.

"How long can the chains withstand such ferocity?" Mr. Father boomed into the microphone, "How long can we stare upon the beast until he invades our nightmares?" He held out a long pause for a dramatic feel, "Only one woman has the power to control him, only one woman can tame him like no other." He waved his hand to me, "Show the crowd, prove to the world that all monsters will obey the orders of a beautiful woman!"

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes, and turned to Cousin, "Remember what I told you." I said to him in a whisper, hoping it wasn't completely useless. And then I held my hand out, "Cousin, I command you to look up."

And look up he did.

The crowd erupted in gasps as his black eyes scanned the crowd. I waited a moment, learning from Mr. Father to draw out the silence.

And then I took a deep breath, both our eyes locked, and I said, "Cousin, I command you to sit!"

I waited. My eyes were still on his. I counted one second, two, three, but nothing.

He wasn't going to do it.

My shoulders slumped, and I knew if this didn't happen, if I didn't get him to obey me and do as Mr. Father wanted then I'd be tossed aside like a worthless piece of trash.

I needed him to work with me.

I opened my mouth, "Cousin Ignominy, sit."

Absolutely nothing.

I glanced at Mr. Father who was staring at me with narrowed eyes. He expected me to have this down already. He certainly wasn't going to forgive me for ruining his show.

I turned back to Cousin and clenched my fists. "Cousin Ignominy I will only say it once more." I stared him in the eyes, pleading. "Sit. Down."

It happened quick. One moment he and I were locked in a stare, the next, I was lying on the ground with a shock of pain erupting from my back.