Chapter Thirty-Four

hi it's been 222 years since i updated this one

i had to reread it bc i forgot everything

i've been writing this book for like 7 yrs lol anyway 

next chapter will be in Cousin's POV it's already written, (i did write it before this chapter do not ask me why bc idk)

 Chapter Thirty-Four

Cousin and I listen to Katie and mom talking downstairs. From the sound of it, it seems as though mother definitely had seen the news. 

"She's exhausted." I hear Katie say, "There is no point in waking her."

"You lied to me." God, she sounds mad.

"What was I supposed to do? Tell you she was missing again so you'd hit her like you did before?" I frowned at my sister's bluntness.  Cousin was staring at me so intently, that I allowed myself to stare back at him, and take comfort in his gaze.

If my mother wants to come into the room, would I be able to hide him? The door is locked, but I'd still have to let her in if she knocks.

"You took her hiking on those trails. You knew they'd be unkept." Was my mother really blaming Katie for me falling?

"And we've been on them before, it wasn't the trails, mom. It was a dog."

"A dog?"

"Yes, a dog. It's a long story, okay? She's fine, just a little bruised. She hasn't had much sleep, so don't bother waking her." They move to what I assume is the kitchen, where their voices are more muffled, I can heart them talking, but I can't make out their words.

I decide to do what Katie expects me to do, and go to sleep.

Cousin hasn't removed his hand from mine, and I don't want him to. I blink at him, and he blinks at me. I don't know why it's so hard for me to not move closer to him. I don't want to scare him, but I want so badly to be closer.

I don't move closer, but I think about it. The thought possesses me, and I can't help but imagine what it'd be like to lay against him. Listen to his heartbeat, and fall asleep in his arms.

I don't do it. 

But I certainly think about it. 

Closing my eyes, it takes me longer than I expected to fall asleep despite being utterly exhausted. I feel as though I only blinked when I hear a light tapping on my bedroom door.

Cousin sits up when I do, and we both look over at the door. My head is still full of fogginess and sleep, but I climb out of bed anyway.

I tiptoe to the door, ninety-five percent sure it wasn't my mother behind it. Unlocking it, I opened it only a fraction, and peer out. Katie is standing with a large gym bag in her hands, "Hurry and pack." She whispers, "Jace is parked down the street."

"What?"

"You're leaving now."

My eyes widen, but I nod, quickly taking the bag from her, and stuffing as many clothing items I can. Cousin watches me, and I try to pack smart, but I'm still half dizzy with exhaustion, and my entire body aches even worse than when I had first fell asleep.

I am so damn sore.

It takes me longer than necessary to zip up the bag, the clothing spilling out of it as I try to do so. Finally, it closes, and I urge Cousin to follow me.

I am not entirely afraid of my mother finding out about our plans. I'm more concerned about the fact that I'm still here, and Mr. Father may just have an idea where we are hiding.