Chapter 27 - Dress Shopping

A/N: I tweaked Poison Ivy's life just a bit.

The next morning I woke up because I couldn't breath. My nose was stopped up. I wasn't getting sick, was I? I never got sick. I heard a crash coming from my mom's room. I walked in and saw she was cleaning up the place. Picture frames, blankets, clothes, and shoes littered her bedroom floor.

"What's all this?" I asked, my voice sounding congested and airy.

"Since I'm getting married, I thought I'd clean up some things I don't need. Things from your father's days."

As far as I knew, my parents were engaged when she turned into Poison Ivy. I picked up a picture that was on the floor. I've never seen it before. I stared at it. My mom was wearing a hot pink tank top with jean shorts. She was holding her stomach like she was proud she was pregnant. She had an engagement ring and was looking at a man. He was wearing khaki shorts, a white shirt, and Crocs. His hair was strawberry blonde. Yep. That was my father alright. They looked so happy together.

My mom threw a ring out of her closet. I picked it up. It looked just like the one from the picture. It wasn't as grand as her new one, but I took it anyways. I placed the ring in my pocket along with the photo. I didn't want my mom to find out I had them, or else she might get upset.

"Go take this to the trash shoot." My mom handed me a trash bag of her stuff. "Then get ready for dress shopping."

I shuffled my feet down the hall. I found the trash shoot. It stuck like garbage. I sneezed and tried to breathe through my nose. The sneeze had to come from the dust on the shoot. Only there wasn't any dust on the trash shoot. I groaned as I walked back to my apartment. I sneezed. We don't have any cold medicine at our house. Why would we? My mom nor I have ever gotten sick before. I would just have to pass off the cold like a normal human. A normal human with plant powers and a psycho mother.

I opened the door and walked to my bedroom. I gathered my stuff for my shower. I let the water get extra hot so the steam could open my sinuses. It didn't help. By the time I was out of the shower, I still wasn't able to breathe. I gotten dressed. It was extremely cold out. I put on warm jeans and a red sweater. I put on the new ring and Damian's necklace. I walked out of my room. My mom was getting ready to go out.

"Mom," I complained, "I'm sick."

"You're not sick. We don't get sick. It's just wedding jitters," she said, not even paying attention to me.

I walked out of the door and waited for my mom. She walked out with a hand purse. I never even knew she had a hand purse.

"Mom?" I asked as we descended down the stairs. "What was Dad like?"

"Don't ever, ever, speak about him. I left Jim and that's that." Jim? That was my father's name? "He left me to deal with you. I didn't want a wedding, and he did. He wanted a kid, and I didn't. So I left. The only problem was he didn't want to take you back. He saw me as me. Thought I was creep. Thought you were a creep too."

I've hated my mother all my life. I still do, but right then there was a small bit of admiration for her. It was brief. Then I remembered all of the things she's done to me, and, suddenly, that admiration was gone. She was still a cold hearted person. Maybe, just maybe, if my "father" would have stayed, then we could have been a family. I hated my father too. My family sucks.

I hailed a taxicab for my mom and me. My mom told the driver the place. I never heard of it before, but from the name Royal it sounded very expensive. It never occurred to me until then, but I think Bruce was paying for the whole wedding. That was just dirty on Mom's part.

"The theme is outdoors," my mom said to the designer at Royal. "The bridesmaid dress should be green."

"Wait, who's the bridesmaid?" I asked.

"You."

Oh. I didn't really know how I felt about that.

"Follow me," the designer said. She was an older lady, late forties, she had a French accent. I didn't get her name. I wasn't paying attention when she said it; I think it was something in French, too.

She took us around the shop. Three fourths of the shop was all bridal, the rest was for bridesmaid. Each bridesmaid dress was categorized by color. She took us to the green section. I wasn't really looking at dresses that much. It wasn't my wedding to be choosing. I was sitting in a chair doodling on a sticky note that was next to me.

"Eva." My mom snapped her fingers in front of me.

"Huh?" I asked.

"What do you think about this one?"

She held up a bright green dress. It was made out of the same material as my dress from the Christmas party. It had the same cross fabric at the top. The only difference was the bridesmaid dress was one strap. The strap was made from fishnet. It almost looked like leaves.

"It's cute," I said.

"Try it on."

I took the dress and walked over to a dressing room. It looked beautiful on me. The dress looked familiar, but I couldn't figure out where I've seen it.

I walked out of the dressing room to show my mom. I caught her looking at a fluffy, sleeveless wedding dress. She looked at me and gushed. I felt like me and my mom were actually mother and daughter and not some crazy psychos. I knew the feeling wouldn't last. She was just putting on a show in public.

"It's beautiful," she said. She handed me her phone. "Quick! Send a picture to Bruce so he can give the boys color matching ties."

"Uh, okay."

I walked back to the dressing room where there was a big mirror and good lighting. I sent the picture and took the dress off. I walked up front to my mom with the dress. She started paying for her own dress and mine.

"Lovely, darling," the designer said.