Episode 35: Gate

This world didn't need Alastair, and he didn't need it

He ran until his legs wouldn't run anymore.

Honey was panting when she caught up with him. 'Coco, are you okay? Did you get another owie?'

"I-in my coat."

'Coco...'

"In my coat."

Honey whined as she complied.

Alastair forced himself to his feet. His broken arm ached as he called his key out. Still, this was something he had to do.

Alastair glared as he walked toward the doorway of light, only to be met with an invisible wall.

Honey whimpered. 'Coco, what was that?'

Alastair fell back when Ame appeared in front of him. "Why can't you ever nock or something?"

"I forgot you're a little skittish. I'll try to figure something out."

He glared at her. "Who put bricks in the gate?"

The boy jumped when she put a hand on his arm. "Honey, it's fine if you really want to go home, but I need to talk to you first, so I can make whatever plans I need to make."

"I don't feel good. Why should I drag myself out of bed for people who don't want anything to do with me?"

"I know, honey. That feels crummy." He turned his head when she tried to look into his eyes. "It will get better, eventually."

He bit his lip. "When? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? Next year? Ten years from now?" He gazed at Honey. "For all I know, it'll only go away if I go home!"

Ame hugged the boy. "I'm sorry. I really am."

"The Nachimians don't want me here! They know I'm here cuz you didn't do your job! How long can I really wait knowing that?"

"There might be people who feel that way, but I know there's at least one who would be sad if you left."

"Who? Cyan?" Alastair scoffed. "Things will be better for her if I'm not around. She even lost her friend because of me."

Something changed in Ame's eyes, but he couldn't tell what. "You can't know that without asking her. The poor girl deserves a chance, honey."

Alastair turned his head again. "Still, there must be a better Key Keeper for this world than me out there. Why don't you go and find him or her?"

"It's not that simple, Alastair. Also, you're the only one at the moment with a KK birthmark in this world, thus the only one who can use a key. All the others have died due to mysterious circumstances or vanished."

Alastair was the only KK? Wasn't that dangerous? If anything happened to him, wouldn't Nachima be in trouble?

Wait. Mysterious circumstances?