Episode 9: Festival Food

Alastair felt groggy when he woke up

Alastair felt groggy when he woke up. He looked around. When did he get outside? Where had his bed gone?

A sharp pain. Why did his arm ache?

His sling was on the ground next to him. Guess I should put it back on... He moved Honey from his chest to his lap before doing so.

Honey yawned.

Alastair stroked the top of her head. "Morning, girl."

Honey crawled into his red coat.

"Can you breathe?" he rubbed her chin with his good hand. "I could take my sling off."

Honey barked. 'It's warm in here. Your owie needs to get better. I'm fine.'

"I want you to be comfy."

'I am. I just wanna cuddle with my human.' Honey's stomach growled. 'Could we look for something to eat?'

Alastair laughed. "Of course, we can."

He wasn't hungry himself. Wilhelmina had pestered him to eat more than once cuz of it. Still, it wouldn't be fair of him to keep food from a growing puppy.

Slowly, as he was worried Honey could fall out of his jacket, he scooted out of the tree before getting up.

Alastair blinked a few times. People were setting up folding tables around them. Was there going to be a festival or something?

Out of the corner of his eye, Alastair noticed a box on a nearby table. When he squinted, he saw it was full of white masks. Ooh... I want one. Alastair ruffled his hair. Why couldn't Hannah have given him a little pocket money?

If he had some pocket money, he could've bought a candy bar or something. If he could've done that, those mean people never would've bothered him. Then he wouldn't have gotten hurt or met Wilhelmina, meaning Alastair wouldn't have met her friend, either.

No one else could see his face ever again. People would just get hurt. Nor would he let them do that to him.

Who cared if he didn't have any money? He needed that mask.

When the big man turned his back, Alastair grabbed a mask out of the box and ran behind a tree.

Alastair used his metal powers to hold up his glasses. It was hard to hold his lenses with his achy arm, but Alastair had to push through. Mean people would use it against him if he couldn't see.

'I'm not walking on my owie." Honey tenderly licked Alastair's arm. 'You shouldn't do that, either.'

"I'm okay."

Alastair popped his lenses into the mask before he put it on. Then he put the empty frames in his backpack.

Honey's ears folded back. 'Why did you put that on?'