Episode 3: The Beauty and the Bullies

After Graham left, Alastair spent his hours drawing

After Graham left, Alastair spent his hours drawing. He had drawn the boy waving from memory. He liked drawing the people he met. It made them feel closer.

He winced as his stomach grumbled again. He had already eaten all of the snacks he'd packed. Sadly, he had no money to buy any. Nor did he know where to get some. He sighed. When would his G.K. appear?

***

[Yesterday]

Alastair cradled his pillow in his arms as he went into his brothers' room. Noh had insisted on having a family sleepover in his and En's room since he was leaving tomorrow. This would be their last night together for who knew how long. He was happy to cuddle with the teddy bear, but not En. While Noh was a teddy, Enji was like snuggling a grumpy cat. And normally, Alastair loved cats.

Alastair furrowed his brow as he found his big brother going over his backpack.

Alastair snatched it away from him. "Hannah and I already packed this morning!"

"I just wanted to make sure you have everything." En grabbed a nearby pair of gloves off his dresser. "Did you pack spare gloves?"

He grumbled. "Do you think I'm dumb? Of course I did!"

That was when a pair of swarthy raven-haired twin sisters walked in. They each wore their nightgowns. Blue for Len, the younger twin, and green for Ivy, the older twin.

"Wouldn't Hannah make sure Star did that?" Ivy asked.

Alastair nodded.

"I'm sure she did." En closed Alastair's backpack and went to stroke the top of Ivy's head. "But it's always good to double check."

"What about triple check?" Ivy asked.

"Yeah, better safe than sorry. It might be cold where Atty's going. Plus, sometimes it's better to keep our birthmarks hidden."

Len raised her eyebrows. "Cuz we're not supposed to talk about being KKs?"

"And some people like to ask about the birthmarks." En looked away. "It's not something we always wanna talk about."

Ivy furrowed her eyebrows. "That's why Star wears gloves even when it's hot out?"

"Yep."

"Here I thought he was like a certain mouse."

Alastair chuckled. Seemed Ivy was still in her Disney phase.

"Heard from Randy that you're going to have a sleepover. Mind if we join in?" Ivy asked.

"I don't think we can all fit in here," En said.

"Oh..."

He ruffled her hair. "We could set up in the living room instead. We'll all fit out there."