Chapter 45

"It was a logical ruse."

You almost spit out your drink at that, glaring at Shota. It was the next day and he and Hizashi were both at your house, out of their hero costumes and you had demanded that they explained everything.

Trinket was laying still and quiet on one of the shelves, as if sleeping.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" you complained.

"I knew the parasite was only on Rina, and if you had told her the incomplete plan, we would have tricked not just you but the villains as well. It was the only way we could trick them into thinking you were in a rush and panicked. Which you actually were."

Shota had overheard the offer that Lina and Hami gave you, but never told you, pissing you off. He then chose a karaoke party place that was near the deal location, so that the villains there would see you come over.

You were annoyed, but the plan worked, so you had no reason to complain. If anything, you should've been showing your gratitude.

"It was to lower their guard," Shota explained. "If I told you, I feared the villains would find out and I didn't want to deal with it."

"You were lazy," you scoffed.

"I had to make sure the villains believed you were agreeing with their deal. And Hizashi was with you."

Hizashi, who sat next to you as Shota explained his so-called 'logical ruse,' stayed silent, though holding back his laughs.

"The villains were waiting for you there, but we were also there to jump them," Hizashi added.

"What did Ectoplasm and the phone call have to do with this?"

"We originally had him watch over you in case the villains confronted you, but Hizashi insisted on swapping roles," Shota said, giving Hizashi an annoyed look.

"Hey, it all worked out in the end." Hizashi put an arm around you. "Shota and Ectoplasm caught Hami and Lina, but they couldn't find Kaito. They texted me and I had an idea to text Mason to call you to get you to Lina's quickly."

"Holy shit that's a lot of steps."

"It was in case Kaito was following, which he was," Shota said.

"I didn't want to leave you all alone while you headed over there," Hizashi said worriedly to you. "But I had to talk to the police where Shota was about Lina and Hami."

"And you were panicked, on the phone, and running," Shota added. "Which was what we intended. It looked as if you were calling the police or something."

"This is like some stupid, overthought multi-step process for a big situation in a story that leads to something very small," you scoffed.

"You could say that." Hizashi chuckled. "But we caught Kaito, Lina, and Hami."

"I suppose so." You dropped your voice. "And I guess Gravity Falls meant no harm. They saved me back there."

"Thankfully, or Kaito would have hurt you."

"And Rina? She's really dead, huh?"

Shota dropped his head slightly. "I found that if I used my quirk on Hami the parasite would be erased, too. I should have done it long ago."

You glanced over the paper and said in a low voice, "Too late?"

"It was probably an after-effect of the quirk, and plus she had cancer."

"Ah, I see." You stared at the papers silently. "What about the League of Villains? Was Toga there?"

"No, we don't know where any of the members are but we're interrogating the villains we caught."

"They might not even be part of the League," Hizashi added. "Just part of a small plan or something, like most of the villains at the USJ attack."

"Here's the thing," Shota started, stopping Hizashi. "Remember when we told you about how the villains knew our location?"

You nodded. The USJ incident and the training camp incident.

Hizashi took a deep breath. "We figured that out. I told you about the camp's location, and you told Rina, and Hami had a parasite that she could hear from, and she told the League that."

"The USJ situation was because of the media breakthrough," Shota added.

The two waited for your reaction.

"So I should just shut up about things then," you said simply. You muttered the last part. "It's my fault they knew."

"No, no," Hizashi quickly said, hearing you. "It's no one's fault. It was the villains who managed to outsmart us."

"No, it was Hizashi's fault," Shota said nonchalantly.

"Okay, it was my fault," Hizashi admitted. "I shouldn't have told you about our personal school and hero plans. You didn't even ask! If anyone should shut up about things, it's me."

That didn't really help make you feel any better, but you still appreciated it. Hizashi continued blabbering on, showing all the more proof that he had a big mouth.

You kissed him to shush him up, just like you did before when he was apologizing for not being able to make it to the Battle of the Bands event.

"It's all in the past," Shota said. "You couldn't have known."

"Yeah." You sighed. You began looking at Rina's file. You probably weren't supposed to because of privacy reasons, but the heroes gave it to you so you expected them to not care.

"She had laryngeal cancer," Shota informed you. "We looked into it. I won't get into the details much, but they did a scan on her after the parasite was removed and they found tumors. Did a few more things and surgery, but...."

"They could have cured the cancer if it had been diagnosed earlier," Hizashi added. "But the quirk made it difficult, like it mixed in with the cancer. I looked into these things since I have a voice quirk."

"Well, that makes two of us." You cleared your throat. The pro heroes let you think through everything in silence.

"At least the villains are caught now," Hizashi said.

"I wish Rina was here to enjoy this." Your voice cracked as you felt your eyes tear up once again.

Shota quickly got up, excusing himself with a sympathetic look on his face. He left, leaving you with just Hizashi. You appreciated that, as both of you would have been uncomfortable.

Before, you were too caught up in the plan to catch the villains to think and focus on Rina. Now, however, your mind decided now was a good time to break down again.

"Birdie," Hizashi said soothingly. He went over to your side to hug you. "Want me to call your friends?"

You nodded. Company sounded nice. You should've let them know about Rina's death. They were good friends of hers after all. You heard Hizashi sing to you again and you fell asleep listening to it. It was soothing, calm, and made you feel safe.

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Guess the song:
"And now it all unfolds, the skill of an artist."

Song suggestion: Rosa Dear by Ruth