Chapter 20

A/N: Warning: Many cheeses, very cheesy 🧀

~♬~

A few days later, only three days remained until the Battle of the Bands event. Hizashi kept Trinket with him at all times except for when he had to go do his hero work and sometimes teacher work, which then he left it with you. He didn't leave without kissing the paper bird's beak and telling her how cute she was. He told you the exact same thing but more in a loving manner, making you all flustered again and you hoped you'd get used to it.

When he took Trinket out the bird would still want to sit on Hizashi's head so his hat that usually covered his recognizable hair and face was set down. However, this caught too much attention. You once saw a bunch of fan girls crowding around Hizashi attempting to get an autograph from him or kiss him.

If it took seeing Hizashi's face clearly to recognize him, they probably weren't very good fans.

This caused you to become jealous, to say the least, even though you two weren't official. You started to question yourself again if it was okay for you two to be together.

You knew Hizashi didn't like it either, though, despite the large smile and hyperactive personality he put on when fans noticed him. He made it up to you with a kiss on the cheek which always left you embarrassed. He had quite a talent for that like Rina.

Hizashi managed to convince the bird to make do with the hat. That paper bird really did love attention, however, just like Hizashi.

After hours of practicing one day, your voice started to hurt and Hizashi noticed.

"You want to take a break?" he asked. "Take a walk, work on your poems?"

You nodded, taking a gulp of water from your bottle. You grabbed your bag, checking to make sure everything was in there.

The past few days had been peaceful, other than Rina's health not making any progress in improving.

You and Hizashi walked around the block before deciding to go to the park, Trinket nestling on Hizashi's hat.

"You never did tell me which one you wanted," Hizashi suddenly said. "A kiss or no kiss."

You didn't reply, pretending that you didn't hear. Hizashi nudged you.

"A kiss," you whispered. You were sure it wouldn't happen, though. Hizashi didn't reply so you assumed he didn't hear you. You didn't plan on repeating. You had thought that he was just playing around when he made that offer.

"Can I try writing a poem?" Hizashi suddenly asked.

You handed him your notepad and pen. "Sure, here."

Before writing anything down, Hizashi read through your poems.

"How the hell do you write so quickly and so well?" Hizashi questioned. You had written down five poems in the past ten minutes.

"Dunno, just comes into my head."

A pause. You hadn't worn anything with pockets today and you didn't bring your bag so your hands were uncomfortably swinging by your sides. Being without the notebook didn't help either.

"What rhymes with 'you'?" Hizashi suddenly asked.

"Seriously?" You giggled at the absurdity. "There's like a thousand words that rhyme with 'you'."

"Exactly."

You noticed what you just said, then playfully punched him on the arm. He laughed, making you grin. After a few moments, he handed the notepad back.

[Y/N], that person is you.
At first it was just a clue,
But as I learned more the feelings grew.
Music is what we both love and do,
Your personality was something new.
And days a few
I definitely knew,
Just like but more than the cockatoo,
What I love is you.

You looked at Hizashi when you finished reading. He was looking away and you could see a small tint of red on his cheeks. His hand was brushing back his hair.

"Hizashi, is this true?" you asked slowly.

"Did that poem not get through?"

"I'm now seeing you in a whole different view."

"This is not something you will rue."

It was an awkward silence as your heart thumped hard in your chest. It felt like it would explode. Even the loud bird was quiet.

"You already knew," you finally started to say. You look at Hizashi to see his face covered with a smile. "But I love you too."

He leaned in and kissed you on the lips and you froze at the sudden action. Soft, warm, loving.

It actually happened.

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Guess the song:
"Leave my door open just a crack,
'Cause I feel like such an insomniac...."

Song suggestion: Never Been in Love by Will Jay