6. children earnest at their play, Part II

One hour and one game of hide-and-seek later, Didi was back home, feeling a little bit better. She and Dominic had blissfully eaten the chicken down to the bone, the most indulgent meal they'd had in... well, probably ever. Dominic was now napping soundly. Finally at liberty to read, Didi brought her book downstairs, to the lobby, so she could close the blinds in her and Dominic's room. The presence of others in the lobby didn't bother her. So long as her head was clear, it was easy to tune out external stimuli while reading.

So much so, that she didn't notice Kaylessa was speaking to her until she'd repeated herself. "I said, what's that you got there?"

Didi put her book down and lifted her head. "Hmm?"

Kaylessa looked at her expectantly.

"This?" Didi held the book up. "It's a book. An adventure story. There's this human boy, and he left his village because it was attacked by orcs, and– "

"And where did you get it?" Kaylessa interrupted.

"Huh? Oh, from Gaelker."

Kaylessa's eyes narrowed. "With what money?"

"From wages! I didn't steal it!" Didi defended.

"You better not have!" Kaylessa sighed, shaking her head. "That money is for you to save and use when you need it – if you need to buy yourself a new pair of boots, or if y'all ever decide to leave this place and make a start somewhere else. Maybe an occasional small treat, on special occasions. You shouldn't be spending it all on things like books."

Didi felt her ears drooping. "I only bought this one. I like books."

"Ain't your head in the clouds enough already?" Kaylessa asked. Didi almost argued back, but she noticed Kaylessa didn't really seem angry – she was smiling. Teasing her, not lecturing her.

Didi perked back up again. "Don't worry, I'll save most of my wages. I just really wanted to read this one book."

"Okay, now. If you say so." Kaylessa approached her, casting her eyes about the room to scan for others before she spoke again in a lowered voice. "Truth be told, I'm more worried about you spending your time browsing around in that Gaelker's shop –"

"I didn't steal from him! He's lying! He just doesn't like me because –"

Kaylessa held a hand up. "Stop. That ain't what I meant. Look, just... between you and me, I don't want you to go around Gaelker's shop unless you have to. His is the only place in town that has some things, but there's some shady things about that place."

Didi's ears turned towards Kaylessa. "Ooh? Like what?"

"Well, I shouldn't be spreading rumors, and it ain't anything I know for sure about, but people say and I suspect..." She stopped, eyes narrowing when she saw the eagerness in Didi's eyes. "This ain't no gossip for you to be spreading around, Didi. I'm only telling you so you stay away from it."

"I won't tell!" Didi said. "...I'll only tell Dominic, but Dominic won't tell anyone else."

Kaylessa seemed to accept that, and said, "Well then, just between the three of us, there's rumors – the credible sort, not the gossipy sort – that when you pay Gaelker in copper coins, he flattens 'em out and breaks 'em and paints 'em to look like gold coins. That's why I always send you with exact change when I send you over there."

A pause. "That's all?" Didi asked.

Kaylessa looked at her like she was dumb. "It's counterfeiting, Didi," she said, as if Didi didn't understand.