XIV

A few hours had passed and Nichole was already feeling that much better with her wound being cleaned. Even though it still hurt like hell, there was no more smell so she knew she was going to be okay. Hobbling down the stairs, she swore she heard someone saying grace.

"Head of the family ain't here." she heard John say.

"Tommy, he sometimes helps me with the business --"

As she reached the bottom of the stairs, she came face to face with a man who was sitting at the kitchen table eating a sandwich. The family was gathered around him, only now their eyes were on her; including this man's eyes. She narrowed her eyes, this man looked a lot like Arthur. The man looked her up and down with a wandering eye that made her feel uneasy.

"Nichole," Arthur said with a prideful voice as he stood up from his chair and ushered for her to take the seat next to the man at the table. "Come 'er and have a seat little lady!"

"Nichole? Nichole Shelby? Well, it's been many a year since I last see you. You were but a wee-thing and now look at you's." The man said while Nichole didn't budge from the door.

She knew who the man was now by his voice. She felt nothing toward this man accept the disregard she had toward him. She didn't remember much about the man, but she remembered enough to know that he was a drunk and enjoyed too much of a woman's company.

"I think I'll stand, thanks Arthur." she replied, causing Arthur to sit back down slowly.

Arthur turned his gaze back toward the man and noticed that his father was still in a locked gaze with Nichole.

"Is that anyway to treat your uncle that you haven't seen after all these years?"

Nichole narrowed her eyes and suppressed a scoff.

"Last time I seen you, you were drunk in the gutter. Just stumbled out of Miss.Tiption's house if I do recall."

Nobody said anything, and the reply didn't make Arthur Sr. bat an eye.

"True, I wasn't well back then -- "

"I'll say" Aunt Polly muttered, causing Arthur Sr. to cast a look her way, before looking back at Nichole.

"but I'm a changed man."

"Men like you don't change." Nichole stated. "Men like you stay the same, you're too lost in your own little world to do anything else."

The room was silent once again. Arthur seemed disappointed as his gaze was cast down, John was looking at Nichole, and Finn was looking around the room. Aunt Polly had her arms crossed and was looking at her brother who was trying to eat his food.

"And you's seemed to change quiet a bit. You's no longer that soft spoken wee lass you used to be."

"Yeah, It's called growing-up." Nichole said with a slight nod of her head.

Just at that moment, Thomas came around the corner and noticed Nichole had came down from her room, he spared her a glance only to find that she was glaring at someone once he turned he stopped dead in his tracks. He looked at his father who had hadn't seen in years, was sitting at their kitchen table, now understanding why Nichole had been giving such a look.

"Aye, well, speak of the devil." Arthur Sr. said as he went to stand. "How are ye son?"

Tommy stood there his eyes glancing over to his brother Arthur for a moment as he started shaking his head. He looked back at his father.

"Get out."

Thomas said in a glow toned voice. He wasn't happy to see his father -- he couldn't even call him that anymore -- in his home.