VII

It wasn't long after her meeting with the copper from Belfast did she hear from John that Tommy had informed him that this copper was going to be keeping a closer eye on all the Shelby's; including Nicholas. Honestly she couldn't give a crap if she had his eyes on her now and watching her every move or not. American police were corrupt bastards and pigs, nothing compared to these Birmingham coppers. So she shrugged it off for the most part, understanding that she was now under watch but honestly not giving a damn about it. She would go on with her job and plans as usual she wasn't one for pussy-footing around. She was prepared for anything that would be thrown her way, anything but the one thing that she was confronted with this morning right after she had awoken.

“I need you to keep a close eye on Ada.” Polly informed her, watching from her chair as she jellied up a piece of toast. Nicholas turned to her aunt, her guns shown on each side of her waist as she did not yet dawn her jacket.

“Ada? What's wrong with her?” It was a simple and innocent question, although she already pretty much figured what the answer was to the question. It was no secrete that Ada had been running around town with some man so there was only one of two things that was going to happen; she was either pregnant or getting married.

“Ada's pregnant.” Aunt Polly whispered, not wanting everyone to hear her through the doors of the gambling hall. Nicholas scoffed, pregnant and not even married, she was setting herself for some pretty high standards as a woman, wasn't she? Taking a rather large bite out of her toast Nicholas chewed and spoke with food in her mouth at the same time.

“And what do you want me to do about it? You want it aborted? Because I didn't spend all that much time in the chantry learning enough to abort a child.” She recalled going to all those damned medical showings back in America. Polly shook her head, taking a drag of her cigarette that she held between her fingers before allowing the smoke to exit through her nose.

“I want you to keep Tommy calm when he finds out about it. Lord only knows what the boy'll do when he finds out.” Nicholas's mouth dropped, Tommy didn't know about it yet? Aunt Polly had told her before she had told Tommy. Damn it all! How was she suppose to keep Tommy calm when she was afraid of how he'd react knowing that she was told first, being one of the last ones to know and he was the 'leader' of this family. Nicholas swallowed her food, knowing that she should have just staid in bed today.

“When do you plan on telling our fearless leader?” She needed a cigarette now. Aunt Polly watched as the young woman placed her own tobacco stick in her mouth and lit it taking a rather long drag; she was nervous.

“Later tonight, hopefully he'll be in a good mood. I want you there, Lord knows he's hard enough to handle after what happened in France to him.” Nicholas watched as Aunt Polly shook her head and finished off her cigarette. Nicholas had recalled the stories that Tommy had told her that night before they got shitfaced drunk at the bar. He had seen…. Horrible things. Terrible things. He killed to survive and he had done so much more to get by after that.

“I'll be outside the door, I won't be in the room, but I know Tommy will leave to go after either Ada or the man who got her pregnant… who is he?” Polly glanced at her out of the side of her eyes, most likely wondering if she should tell her or not.

“Freddie Thorn.” Nicholas laughed, she couldn't help it but she laughed. She didn't recall all that much of Freddie but she remembered enough of him to know that he was twice Ada's age and then some… not to mention he use to be good friends with Tommy, but that was before he became a Communist and fought against England. She really knew how to pick em.

“I don't know what you're expecting from me when Tommy finds out, but I know he won't be happy.” Polly nodded, turning toward the woman – man – and looked up at her.