Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

November 30, 2014

Liz's eyes were glazed, staring at a word on the newspaper in front of her. She wasn't sure how long she'd been staring at the word "arrested" but she couldn't move. In a moment, her whole life had changed. Her best friend and ex-lover was arrested for murder. She had been so busy with Marcus the past few days, that this was the first she'd seen of Larry's arrest. She had no way to understand it, or believe it.

Larry was one of the most kind, giving people she'd ever met. He was always helping the less fortunate, giving generously of his time and resources. He couldn't be capable of murder, could he? She just didn't believe it.

All she could remember were happier times. She seen a flash of when they dated in high school, and he serenaded her under the stars. He was there for the birth of Jacob and Marcus. He even helped Edward get the job at the bank. She remembered Larry taking Jacob to his first water park, laughing and smiling as they went down a large water slide. Jacob always loved his "uncle" Larry. She'd never forget all the laughter and good times they had shared over the years. Larry was there in pieces across her life, a jigsaw puzzle that wasn't complete without him. He had never once shown anger or violence toward her or her family. He was loved and respected. It didn't make sense.

Edward walked into the kitchen, seeing Liz's eyes locked on the newspaper, unmoving. He slipped her hand around her waist to comfort her.

"Oh, you scared me!" She jumped.

"Sorry. You just looked like a lost puppy. I wish I knew how to make it all better." Edward frowned.

"Tell me it isn't true, Ed."

Edward leaned down and softly kissed her forehead. "I wish I could do that. Larry's been a friend to us for years. It just plain sucks."

"Yes, it does. How did we become the people that never knew their friend was a ...oh, God..." She cried.

"I don't know how that happened. It's not like we have some horrible scum detector. We know what's right and wrong. And Larry was good to us, all the time..."

"Yes one of the best guys I ever knew... well besides you, of course."

"Of course!" Edward winked, lightly flipping his blond hair.

"Should we go visit him? I just ...want answers." She sighed.

"I don't know if it's a particularly good idea, sweetheart. If he confesses to you why he did....whatever he did, could you handle it? It would mean that everything he lived could be a lie. No friendship can last through that mistrust. I know you, Liz, you'd never forgive him, and you're the most forgiving woman I know." Edward said as his arm was wrapped comfortingly around her shoulders.

"I know... I just want answers. How could he kill Nick? He was here helping me with Marcus the day after Nick was beaten. He was very upset about it, like, genuinely upset. He was always so damn sincere!" Liz was so frustrated. She wanted to throw her fists into a wall, but she wouldn't. It wouldn't fix anything. It was just beyond her comprehension to understand how Larry could kill Nick, someone he considered a friend.

"We don't always get the answers we want. And then sometimes, we get the answers and wish we wouldn't have." Edward stated.

"True." She sighed.

"I know I never said it before, but I always wondered about him. Not like thinking he would kill someone...but he always seemed too perfect. Deep in my mind there was a red flag, but I chose to ignore it. Felt like giving him the benefit of the doubt. Chose to see him for his actions, not what I felt." Edward explained.