Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

NINE MONTHS LATER

September 3, 2014

"Can you believe it? It's our first day as seniors!" Bobby Woods exclaimed. He high-fived his best friend Trevor Packers.

"Gonna be epic I think, Bob. I mean almost out of this shitty town. It sounds too good to be true."

"Yeah for real, man. Shit town. HA! So true... smells like shit too! I'm especially ready to get out of here after all the craziness this summer... Oooh, let's get this over with. Can it be May yet?" Bobby laughed.

"Totally wish it was, Bob. Wish it was!" Trevor chuckled. The summer had its ups and downs, but he was definitely ready to get the hell out of Larned. He never liked it much. It was just small enough to have nothing fun to do, and it always smelled like cows. There were two feed lots on the edges of town that with the wrong breeze, made everything smell like it was double dipped in cow diarrhea. Trevor hated that. Everyone hated that! But around July, Larned had gotten worse than normal.

"Yeah me too. Especially after Zombie #1, God knows what's next. Maybe that zombie apocalypse they are always training us for. How many zombie movies have there been in the past year? Oh yeah, they want us prepared! You know I'm right!" Bobby laughed.

"I freaking hope not, one is enough." Trevor frowned. Of course there wasn't really an undead human trying to eat brains. No, just an undead human. He didn't want to believe it when he first heard the rumors. Jacob was alive? Jacob was a ghost? Jacob was a flesh eating zombie? Whatever you called it, whatever it was; Jacob Track was back from the dead. He paced the railroad bridge outside of town, day and night, where he had jumped to his death the year before. If suicidal boys usually came back and haunted their place of death, Trevor didn't know. What he did know was that the town was slowly falling into chaos from it. Rumors filled the air of deaths and odd train accidents. Trevor didn't believe a word of it. The town was small enough to know if a train de-railed. And he hadn't heard of any suspicious deaths, but he didn't really gossip or read the news either. What he did know was that if Jacob was a ghost, zombie, or whatever, and haunting the place of his death, there had to be a reason. It really messed with his head.

"Well let's get going to Trig, man. Teacher will kill us if we're late on the first day." Bobby said and they headed off to class. Thankfully they both found a seat next to Trina Johnson. Bobby had a crush on Trina, but hadn't made a move yet because of their long friendship. Also, Trina had been in a relationship with Jacob before he died and after it was over, she took a long time to get over the heartache. Then Jacob had died and she got worse before she got better. Jacob was now the walking dead and she seemed very affected by it. So Bobby was waiting for the right time. He flirted with her, tried to made her laugh whenever he could. She would come around eventually. He was always good with charming the ladies. With his tan skin and manly square features, perfectly offsetting his well groomed, wavy, brown hair and brown eyes, he was definition of a "pretty" man. Girls usually found him very attractive and adored him. He had a wild summer night with a few college girls that didn't know he was only 17 at the time. He enjoyed flirting and having fun with girls but a part of him wanted to give it a try for Trina.

"Bobby, I thought you were awful at math! Why did you sign up for this class?" Trina whispered, her blue eyes sparkling at him.

"Oh, you know need a math credit every year. So I decided to see if my brain knew anything about trig instead of just being sexy." Bobby winked playfully at her.