Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

November 25, 2014

By 10 am, Williams, Reynolds, and a few other officers were at the Rumsfield house with a search warrant.

"Remember, leave nothing untouched. Larry is an extremely rich and well connected man. If there's evidence we need every damn bit of it." Williams ordered as they walked to the front door. "Every damn bit!"

Larry was home and opened the door when they knocked.

"Oh hello, Captain Williams." Larry smiled.

"We are here with a warrant to search your premises."

"Excuse me? A warrant for what?" Larry exasperated, clutching a hand to his chest.

"Please, step aside Larry. We must search these premises." Williams waved the search warrant. "You're more than welcome to look at it, but we are coming in."

"I assure you, I'm innocent. Step in, search all that you wish. I have nothing to hide." Larry waved his arm to welcome them into his home. He knew that they would never find anything to incriminate him.

The team of police began to comb through Larry's large two-story house. It had two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, a study, a large kitchen, a small basement, and a living room. It would probably take most of the day to search it. And that didn't even cover the large two car garage with all the vehicles in it. It was definitely a lot to search, and they'd be lucky to finish it in one day.

Another team was at the hospital checking records, files, and Larry's office. If they were lucky, they could find the evidence by the end of the day and get an arrest. But the sheer amount that they had to search, it was very unlikely to get an arrest in one day.

Zac had started searching upstairs in Larry's master bedroom. It was very large for a bedroom, about the size of a studio apartment, with a large walk in closet. He began rifling through the dresser first, pulling out socks and underwear, looking for hidden items. He then moved onto the bed, still finding nothing peculiar at all. Larry was a very clean man, so it made the search easy enough to go through the very organized room. It was almost too easy at times. Zac moved on to the large walk-in closet, seeing that half of it was empty. He knew that Larry had been through a divorce about two years ago. He either hadn't moved on from it, was unable to fill the empty space, or maybe he simply didn't care enough to fill it. Zac had a feeling it was the latter.

While searching the closet, Zac found a black coat and a ski mask. It could have just been winter wear, as Kansas winters are very cold, but a gut feeling said to bag it for evidence. He grabbed an evidence bag from his belt pouch and stuffed them inside. Hopefully it would lead somewhere in this case.

As he was exiting the closet, he pulled out his cell phone and sent Zacchya a text message:

"Sorry can't call today. Important work stuff. I can text you later though. Didn't want to be 'that guy'. LOL." He didn't want it on his conscience, being the guy that promised to call, but never did. He was not that guy and hoped to never be. He decided to move on to the bookshelf that was built into one of the walls. He was in the middle of skimming a book when his pocket vibrated.

"It's ok, thanks for letting me know." She texted back.

His stomach flip-flopped at the sight of her name in print. He already had such a crush on her. She just had that spark that every man looked for in the right girl. Her blue eyes called to him. Maybe it was the way she twirled her long, blond hair around her fingers when she was nervous, or her soft giggle. Whatever it was, he liked her. And it scared him. He told himself to just go with it, but it had been over two years since he'd been in a relationship. The idea of jumping into another one caused him a bit of hesitation. She was a few years younger than him, still in high school, which kind of made him feel creepy. But she was 18, going to be 19 in May, and he was 22, so it wasn't that far off of an age gap. She was perfectly legal to date. Oh, date her. Those words shook his core.