*- 1 - I'll see you around Homeschooled

Start from the beginning

I have been homeschooled until this year. My mum died a couple months ago and I never knew my dad, so there was no other choice than going to Hogwarts. I didn't really mind. All the stories sounded so great, but it was just so different from what I was used to. I felt like I was being thrown into the ocean after just making it through ten minutes in a baby pool. At least it took my mind off of the loss of my mum for a while.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even look at where I was going. I turned a corner and suddenly collided with a body and fell to the ground. I cringed slightly. Was the universe throwing all school cliches my way now I could finally attend? All I needed was a stack of books to drop and a handsome young man.

"Oh, I'm so sorry", someone said and I looked up. A guy with ginger locks was looking down at me with worry in his eyes. He put out his hand and I took it. I blinked a few times. I guess I could check off the handsome young man from the list.

"Oh, that was completely my fault, I should watch where I'm going", I said with a blush as he pulled me up.

"You're the new student, aren't you?" he asked and I nodded.

"I guess I am, nice to meet you", I said and put out my hand for him to shake.

"Fred Weasley, I believe I'm in your house and in your year", he said and shook it.

"Cool, at least one more familiar face in the crowd", I said and looked down. Seriously, I was 16 years old and I couldn't even have a proper conversation with a boy. Being homeschooled had his perks, but it also made me socially awkward.

"Don't worry, you'll find friends very easily in Gryffindor", he said and I nodded thankfully.

"So, where are you off to?" he asked and ran a hand through his hair. He was handsome. He had kind brown eyes with little specks of gold in them and a smile that made the blood rise to my cheeks. And as odd as it sounds, he had a very nice bone structure as well. Yeah, he was cute.

I rolled my eyes internally. I could count the amount of males my ages I knew personally on one hand. I was hopeless.

"The Headmaster's Office, I have to choose my NEWT classes", I said.

"Which ones are you taking?"

"Charms and Transfiguration for sure as well as Defence Against the Dark Arts and Potions. Maybe Care for Magical Creatures", I said and he grinned. Something about his smile felt very welcoming, as if there was absolutely nothing to worry about.

"You're allowed to take Potions?" he questioned. "Snape only accepts students with an Outstanding result on their OWLs."

"Well, maybe I am an outstanding student", I said and he smirked, looking at me quizzically.

"I suppose you are", he mumbled. I finally let myself look down again. I was so not confident around people. It was pathetic.

"Well, I guess I'll see you around then", he said with a wink and turned around. I felt like such a loser just standing there like a shy little girl.

"Hey, Fred?" I called out for him and he turned around.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know where the Headmaster's Office is?" I asked.

"Lost already?" he asked as he walked back.

"Completely", I confessed and smiled with a little more confidence.

"Sure, I'll show you the way", he said and motioned me to follow him.

"Oh, you don't have to, I'm okay at following instructions and I'm pretty sure you have better things to do", I said. A smirk appeared on his face again.

"Hmm, nope. Nothing better to do than leading pretty girls to the Headmaster's Office", he said and it took me a second to realise what he had said.

"Oh", I mumbled and followed him.

We talked a while about Hogwarts, the classes and our teachers and Fred was actually very fun to talk to. He would make little jokes once in a while and I couldn't get the smile off my face. He was like a ray of sunshine, a bright one for that matter, seeming to find everything in life amusing.

"So, here we are. Are you going to find your way back to the common room?" Fred asked as we stopped at a spiral staircase.

"I'll be fine, thank you for your help", I said and tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. I really had to work on my confidence.

"Okay, then I'll see you around Homeschooled", he said with a wink and casually walked away. Homeschooled? Just then I realised that I had never even told him my name. Stupid, stupid me. How did he even know I was homeschooled before coming here?

I shook myself from my thoughts and walked up to Dumbledore's office.