Chapter 10

Here is your long awaited update! Hope you like it and thanks for the votes and support on Chapter 9!
Also, due to how much this chapter is exactly like it is in the book (I LOVE this chapter) I want to say again this belongs to S.E.Hinton. All I own is Cocoa.
____________________________________

Cocoa came running out of the room she and Darry shared after she got changed, but looked around the living room to see Soda and Darry had left without her. She turned to Two-Bit and Pony who where doing the dishes (well Pony was).
"Where'd they go?" She asked, the hurt in her voice making Two-Bit wince.

"We're gonna see Dally and Johnny a bit later and I told them I'd jus' take you with," Two-Bit said and put his knife away.

"Alright," Cocoa said, her nose scrunching up even at the sight of the blade being out away. She hated that blade ever since she cut her fingers up after she found it on the counter about two months ago. She still had scars from it. Darry had been furious that Two-Bit had left it on the counter, and nearly broke Two-Bit's arm because of it.

Pony and Two-Bit started to clean up the house a bit- Pony telling Cocoa to go make beds or fix the couch up and such things a six year old could do.
After they had finished, Pony pulled on Dally's leather jacket (it now had a burn mark on the back, and Cocoa was too scared to ask why) and they headed off to Tenth-Street.

"I would drive us," Two-Bit said as they walked up the street trying to thumb a ride, "But the brakes are out on my car. Almost killed me and Kathy the other night." He flipped the collar of his black leather jacket up to serve as a windbreak while he lit a cigarette. "You oughtta see Kathy's brother. Now there's a hood. He's so greasy he glides when he walks. He goes to the barber for an oil change, not a haircut."

Cocoa laughed and Pony gave a small smile. They stopped at the Tasty Freeze to buy Cokes and rest up, and the blue Mustang that had been trailing them for eight blocks pulled in. Pony looked almost ready to run, and Two- Bit must have guessed this, for he shook his head ever so slightly and tossed him a cigarette. As Pony lit up, Cocoa his behind Two-Bit, her opal grey eyes wide and fearful. Two-Bit put a calming hand on her head, but she wasn't reassured.

Two- Bit put an elbow on Pony's shoulder and leaned against him, dragging on his cigarette. "You know the rules. No jazz before the rumble," he said to the Socs.
"We know," The curly haired boy said. He looked at Pony. "Come here. I want to talk to you." Pony glanced at Two- Bit. He shrugged. Pony followed Randy over to his car, out of earshot of the rest.

Cocoa listened as Two-Bit talked to the Socs, once and a while she looked back to see Pony talking to Curly in the car.

A little while later, Pony walked over to Two- Bit, and Curly honked for his friends to come and get into the car. "What'd he want?" Two- Bit asked. "What'd Mr. Super- Soc have to say?"

"He ain't a Soc," Pony said, "he's just a guy. He just wanted to talk."

"You want to see a movie before we go see Johnny and Dallas?"

"Nope," Pony said, lighting up another weed.

___________________________

The nurses wouldn't let Cocoa (Or Two-Bit and Pony) see Johnny. He was in critical condition. No visitors. But Two- Bit wouldn't take no for an answer. That was his buddy in there and he aimed to see him. They both begged and pleaded(Cocoa using her best puppy-dog eyes) , but were getting nowhere until the doctor found out what was going on.
"Let them go in," he said to the nurse.

"He's been asking for them. It can't hurt now." Two- Bit didn't notice the expression in his voice, but Cocoa did. She didn't like the doctor man now, acting like Johnny disappeared like their mom and dad. Johnny was lying still, with his eyes closed, but when Two- Bit said, "Hey, Johnnykid," he opened them and looked at them, trying to grin. "Hey, y'all."