Chapter 1

Cocoa Curtis was being held in her mothers arms as they headed out to the car, but she was not happy about it.

"Aw, come on, Cocoa,its only a little car ride," her mother begged. The blond little girl shook her head, defiance glowing in her shiny grey eyes. Cocoa did not want to go on a car ride; she wanted to stay with her brothers, Darry, Sodapop and Ponyboy. She gave a longing look to Darry, but he only smiled at her in return. Darry had a nice smile. He was tall, but buff. He was really, really smart and had to be Cocoa's favorite. Next was Ponyboy, who gave their mother a begging look to let his little sister stay. Their mother never said no to Ponyboy. Ponyboy was pretty short and skinny, but really fast, like really fast. But, Cocoa was faster and she knew it. But, their mother shook her head again.

"Aw, come on Mom! We'll watch her good!" Sodapop begged. Cocoa scowled.
She knew Soda didn't really like her- he was just doing this for Pony and Darry.
Sodapop was good looking through- he didn't have short cut black hair like Darry, or long bangs like Pony, he had a movie star like hair cut, and a really white smile. Cocoa knew this too, but also knew she didn't need sitting- Darry teaches her when their parents are gone. Their mother sighed and let little Cocoa down.

"Alright, she can stay," she sighed. The boys broke out cheering and Cocoa giggled and ran over to Darry, who picked her up.

Their parents left in the car, leaving Cocoa, Pony, Soda, and Darry at the house.
Darry carried Cocoa inside, Pony and Soda ran around the house to go play out back.

"Are we gonna learn today?" Cocoa asked, still being held by Darry. Darry set her down.

"Yeah, go get the pencils okay?"

Cocoa ran to the kitchen to grab two pencils while Darry brought the paper to the living room. She ran back into the room with the two pencils and tossed one to Darry, jumping onto the couch beside him.
Darry wrote a sentence neatly and Cocoa tried to read it.
Why did you want to stay with us?
Cocoa wrote sloppily, 'cause car rides are boring.
Darry chuckled, "Your a odd kid."
"Thank you," Cocoa said proudly.
The phone started ringing and Darry jumped up to answer it, but Cocoa was already answering it.
"Hello?" She asked cheerfully.
"Is this the Curtis home?" Came her reply.
"Yup, I'm Cocoa Curtis."
"Do you have three other brothers?"
"Yup, Darry, Soda and Ponyboy."
"Which one is the oldest?"
"Darry."
"Can you give him the phone please?"
"Okay, DARRY!"
Darry took the phone from Cocoa.
"Hello?"
"We have some news..."

Darry hung up the phone a little while later and stumbled onto the couch. Cocoa stared at him wide-eyed.
"D-Darry?"
Darry started to cry, scaring Cocoa as Darry never cried.
"SODA! PONY! SOMETHINGS WRONG WITH DARRY!" She wailed, and the two boys ran into the house.
Ponyboy came and stood behind his little sister, holding her by the shoulders.

"Darry? Hey why you crying?" Soda tried to soothe.

"Dead," Darry choked, and Soda paled.
"Who's dead?"
"Mom and Dad."

___________________________
Two Weeks later
Funeral
___________________________

Cocoa didn't understand why she had to wear the stupid dress. It was black with white beads along the collar. She didn't understand why she had to wear the black flats. She didn't understand why their parents weren't coming back.
She didn't understand the word 'dead'.

Not one of her brothers could explain this to her either. But, when they went into the big field with little stones in it, Cocoa understood.
She had seen this kind of place in a Micky Mouse cartoon once, when Micky had 'Died', Miny had cried over one of these stones. So, Cocoa did not understand why their parents hadn't jumped up in the basket where they lay.
Cocoa didn't understand why they left them there.
But, Cocoa would learn.
Cocoa would learn.
_________________________
Eight months later
_________________________

Cocoa only had two things on her mind, cats and the walk home, when she left the movie house with her brother, Ponyboy.
"Did you like the movie?" Pony asked as they walked home. Cocoa nodded happily.
"I like the cat."
"You always like the cats," Pony laughed, ruffling his sisters hair. She squealed and tried to fix her hair again.
They walked down by the ally when Pony noticed the red Corvair tailing them, and started walking faster, holding his little sisters hand tight. Cocoa noticed Pony's scared look, she turned and saw the red car. She walked faster with Pony. But, it was useless, the car had already caught up with them.
"Hey greaser, why do you have a kid with you?" one of the Socs snarled, as another four of them climbed out oft he car, surrounding the two.
Cocoa glared at the Socs, "Leave us alone, we never did nothin' to you."
"Shut up," Pony snapped at her.
Cocoa didn't say anything more, but glared at the Socs.
The Socs ignored Cocoa, except one, who pulled her right out of Ponys grip. She gave a hight pitched scream but the Soc shut her up with a slap. Ponyboy was enraged and lunged at the Soc, but the other Socs tackled him to the ground. One pulled out a blade and put it to Pony's chin.
"SODA! DARRY!" Pony yelled, but the Socs put a cloth in his mouth so he couldn't speak. Cocoa bit her captors hand and he yelped, anger clear in his eyes and kicked Cocoa. Cocoa fell on her knees and the Soc pulled a blade out on the six year old as well.
"DARRY!" Cocoa screamed, making the Soc jump and cut the side of her cheek. A battle cry sounded from the Ally and a bunch of the gang came running out, scaring the Socs away back to their car. Darry and Soda came out after them. Cocoa was sitting up, looking at the blood on her hand after touching the burning pain in her cheek. Darry looked angry when he saw the cut on her cheek.

"Did they pull a blade on you two?" He asked worriedly. Cocoa nodded, but looked worriedly to Pony who had a cut on his chin.
"They almost killed Pony," she whimpered. Darry pulled her into his lap and took a cloth from his own pocket, holding it to Cocoa's cheek.

"Pony will be fine, he's tough."

Cocoa noticed Pony glaring at Darry from where he sat with Soda. That was the difference between the two- Pony liked Soda and Cocoa liked Darry.
Steve Randle- Sodas best friend- came up to them, scowling at me and Pony.
"Why were you two walking on your lonesome? You could have been killed!"
Cocoa didn't like Steve.
"We weren't on our lonesome! We had each other," Cocoa pointed out angrily.
Steve scoffed and was about to say something more but was shut up with a look from Darry.
"Let's just get you two home," he said, but through a worried look to Pony himself. Cocoa smiled, she knew Darry cared for Pony too.
Johnny and Dally were talking together on the way home and Cocoa smiled.
"Hey guys, didn't see you there," Cocoa said cheerfully.

Johnny noticed the cut on her cheek, "What happened to you?"

"Mean Socs beat me up too."
Dally looked angry, "What? Now they going beatin' up six year olds too?"

Cocoa shrugged, "I guess."
They stopped in front of the house and Darry took Cocoa inside. He set her on the counter, a look of worry on his face.
"You okay kid?"
Cocoa nodded, "Yup, they ain't got nothin' on me."
Darry smiled and cleaned off her cheek with a wet cloth before putting a band-aid on it.
Soda came inside and said, "Going to the rodeo with Sandy, see you later!", before running out again.
Cocoa jumped off the counter and jumped up and down excitedly, "can we learn?"
Darry shook his head, "Sorry kid, I have to do some stuff, maybe later." Cocoa nodded and didn't let Darry see her frown.