~Chapter 1: Sold~

12 years ago...

"Be quiet honey; if you're quiet, they won't hear you."

"Momma, I'm scared."

She hugged me a little closer to her chest. I let out a whimper.

"Why are they here?"

She patted my head and turned to look through the crack in the cupboard. I saw her eyes widen and she clapped her hand over my mouth.

"Shh, (Y/N)"

She was even quieter this time. I didn't think that was possible.

"I know you're in there."

I shuddered at the sudden voice. I felt my mom's heartbeat quicken and her breath became short. 

"You can't hide from me~"

Suddenly, the doors to the cupboard were thrown open. Before I had any time to react, I was snatched from my mother's arms and was being carried away by a stranger. I did what any four-year-old would find reasonable. I screamed. I screamed and screamed until my throat ached and I couldn't talk anymore. Nonetheless, my kidnapper trudged forward. After what had seemed like an hour of walking (at least in my four-year-old mindset), I was thrown into a cart, in which I saw some of the other folks who lived in or around our village. They all wore solemn faces, and only a few actually bothered to look up at me when I joined their ranks. Once my assailant had left, I took some time to see who I was with. I recognized the baker's daughter, the smith's wife, and the bookkeeper's sister. Everyone else seemed foreign to me. It was then I realized that it was only girls in the cart with me. I hoisted myself up onto one of the benches and laid my head back, staring up at the sky. Despite how uncomfortable the position was, I fell fast asleep.

Present Day

"Next, we have (Y/N) (L/N). She's good for any housework, outdoor, and domestic task. Bids start at 90 dollars." I lifted my eyes from the polished wooden floor to the rest of the room. I was being actioned off at that moment. My eyes wandered through the crowd until I saw a sign being raised into the air.

"$1,000."

"Going once... Going twice... Sold!"

I sighed. This wasn't anything new. I had been at auctions much like this one many times in the past.  I was a bit surprised that someone offered so much for me, but it didn't matter. I was sold, and it was only a matter of time before I would be at my new 'home.' Still, I was always nervous to meet my new owners, and that never changed no matter how many times I saw sold at auctions.

I stood up and we led into a room. I heard the door shut behind me and looked around at what else my new master had bought. I saw various things, but I noticed a couple of odd items. The room had numerous dragon-like sculptures. I thought long and hard as to why a person would buy ten different dragon statues.

Whatever, I thought, Let them have their weird taste in home decor.

I started sorting through random items, most of which looked expensive. I wasn't surprised, though. After all, whoever bought a mere slave worth 90 dollars for 1,000 had to have a good bit of cash. I found a red upholstered chair and sat down in it. For about fifteen more minutes, I sat in the chair, waiting to leave. I fiddled with the bracelet on my wrist. It meant I was a slave. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to escape it all. Instead, I dispelled the thought from my mind. I periodically heard people come in to add to the collection, paying no mind to me. Feeling a bit bored, I laid my head on the armrest and closed my eyes. I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, so I drifted into an easy sleep fairly quickly.