22

"Say something? Anything?" I pleaded with uncertainty in my voice. The silence was scaring me, but to hear the answer scared me just as much.

Alex was leaning back in his chair, he was facing the ceiling while pinching the bridge of his nose.

The silence was ironically deafening.

I kept eyeing the door just in case I needed to make an escape.

"It's ok." He finally spoke up.

I felt a thousand pounds lift off my chest.

"Really?" My voice squeaked.

"Really. But I just don't understand it." He looked at me now.

His dark eyes that usually were stone cold when he was angry was no where to be found this time. Instead, they had a hint of sadness in them.

"You see um..." I trailed off, not sure how to begin it. "I was in such a bad place. That day before I got home, the girls and me got into a huge fight and my biggest fear and insecurities were coming out. Then when you turned me away for Cassie, my heart broke even more. I just felt like no one loved me. I ended up running into Declan and he made me feel wanted and I just let it happened because I thought no one could love me and that somehow just maybe being in a relationship with Declan was ideal because I could tolerate him?"

I was out of breath by the time I finished explaining. I looked at him and then quickly looked away. My feet all of a sudden became quite interesting.

"Charlotte." Alex called my name, but I was too nervous to look up.

"Charlotte." He called again.

I finally snapped my head up.

"Come here." He said to me. My legs stood up without permission and walked over to him.

He grabbed me by the waist and sat me down on his lap.

Instinctly, I snaked my arms around his neck.

"I'm not mad I promise. I will be apologizing for the rest of my life for what I did that day. I never intended on making you feel unloved. I have... issues. Issues that still need to be resolved, but I'm working on it to be a better husband for you."

"Husband?" My lips twitched.

"Husband." He confirmed.

I lowered my head down to his and our lips connected, sending electric through my veins.
He deepened our kiss. His lips hungry for mine as mine was for his. Just as he was about to unzip my dress, the door opened wide scaring the both of us, making me fall flat on the ground.

Deja vu much?

"Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry." Ashley pannicked, but I could sense she was trying not to laugh.

"I can come back." She stiffled a laugh. Just as she was about to walk out, I stopped her.

"No it's fine. I was just leaving." I stood up and tried to collect myself.

"You have the worst timing Ash." Alex groaned, trying to pull me back by my waist.

"How was I suppose to know. Besides this is a work environment." She defended. "Next time leave a sock on the door."

"Yea well what about last time when you stormed my house."

"Shoulda left a sock on the door." She shrugged again.

"It's my house!" Alex scoffed.

"It's my house." Ash mocked back and stuck her tongue out at him like a child.